Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Clearing in Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
paranode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's not really necessary to keep taking readings if you know you've hit your final gravity. The secondary is mainly meant to let a lot of the yeast in suspension fall out as well as to simply bulk age the beer which causes it to taste better. If you really want it clear you can crash-cool it overnight in a fridge before you bottle or keg. Although with bottling I don't know whether that's recommended because it will get most of the yeast out of suspension and you still need some to carb the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranode
It's not really necessary to keep taking readings if you know you've hit your final gravity. The secondary is mainly meant to let a lot of the yeast in suspension fall out as well as to simply bulk age the beer which causes it to taste better. If you really want it clear you can crash-cool it overnight in a fridge before you bottle or keg. Although with bottling I don't know whether that's recommended because it will get most of the yeast out of suspension and you still need some to carb the bottles.

thanks.. thats what i was hoping/figured i would hear. i'm just using it to clear the beer a bit, plus to make room for batch #2.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Beer appears much darker in bulk than in a glass.

The clearing process can make the beer look darker, because the yeast and small particles reflect more light. When they settle, more of the light goes through the beer.

After two weeks, it should be ready to bottle.
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and bottled it today, and boy was it clear! I was expecting it to be cloudy since I thought it still would have some suspended yeast in it. It ended up looking ruby red like an Irish Red. Tasted good too. It was pretty much what I was hoping for except I will add more aroma hops at the very end of the boil next time.

I hope it carbonates since it was so clear...makes me wonder if the yeast can do the job.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
sak3358
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the same appearance when in secondary with a Munich Helles. I was expecting a blond color, but it appeared amber in the secondary. I just racked it this weekend into kegs and took my final hydrometer readings. It appeared as a golden blond when removed from the secondary.....just as I wanted it to appear. Had to sample it, and it was EXCELLENT, nice flavor and mellow finish.....not too hoppy. Another 4-5 weeks in the keg, a little forced carb and I'll be ready. Brewing another batch this weekend......what a wonderful hobby.

Quick Reply