The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning and Sanitizing Bottles...OMG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps_lokesh View Post
Hi,I am lokesh.Conflicting information from well meaning friends is often confusing. Is it safe to use dish detergent? Should I boil nipples and bottles? How often should I do so? What about bleach? Is it a safe way to sanitize my baby's bottles and nipples? What are the dangers of not properly cleaning and sanitizing bottles?
---------
Cleaning & Sanitization
LOL!!

This is great. Looks like you did a search for cleaning your babies bottles and stumbled across info on how to clean beer bottles.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #52
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps_lokesh View Post
Hi,I am lokesh.Conflicting information from well meaning friends is often confusing. Is it safe to use dish detergent? Should I boil nipples and bottles? How often should I do so? What about bleach? Is it a safe way to sanitize my baby's bottles and nipples? What are the dangers of not properly cleaning and sanitizing bottles?
---------
Cleaning & Sanitization
If you must know..DON'T USE BLEACH!!!!

Clean the bottles and nipples with dish detergent then boil the nipples for at least 5 min.

IMHO the danger (if you want to call it that) is not killing the germs if you don't.
A babies immune system is not developed so they will get sick easily if exposed to germs, which can be dangerous.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #53
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps_lokesh
---------
Cleaning & Sanitization
Huh. Did I take a wrong turn into the baby formula making forums.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #54
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

And boil the bottles if you can.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #55
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Guys, that's a troll spammer....and a dumb one at that. Probably a bot that just keyed in on some keywords, but man way to spam a 3 year old thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #56
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettbeer View Post
buy a case of bottles and use bottle washer attached to the sink with hot water.. toss them in a bucket of star-san. use bottle washer again after a few minutes in star-san.. put them on the tree, then bottle... i use the blichmann beer gun. i will wash my bottles with hot water right after i pour them into the pint glass then store them and use the same process above on bottling day. i haven't used a bottle brush or the dishwasher in a year. never any problems
Wait, why rinse AFTER star san? That seems unnecessary, and if anything detrimental.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #57
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettbeer View Post
star san sticks to the glass. thats how it works. you don't need all that foam in there.
You are seriously misinformed...

Most of the sanitzers we use, especially Starsan and iodophor are No rinse/wet contact sanitizers. They are literally double edged swords. They kill two ways. They kill everything on the object prior to sanitizing, and then as long as they are still wet they form a sanitizer barrier that kills everything that comes into contact with object.

If you let the sanitizer dry any micro organism that comes in contact with the sanitized object, rather than being killed by it, makes the object no longer sanitzed.

If you let it dry you are reducing it's efficacy by 50%

If you rinse it you are doing the same, PLUS running the risk of infecting from any contaminants in the water.

You really want to sanitize right at the time you are using the thing you are sanitizing. And let the wort/beer flow on top of it.

But the other thing, is that the "foam" in starsan breaks down in contact with the wort and beer, and becomes yeast food...it's actually really a good thing for your product to have that foam in there. It's your friend, it makes the yeast happy.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, talking about that and more-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/

When folks say, don't fear the foam, we aren't saying "don't rinse it." Just rack on top....

It's also fun! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/stup...r-foam-127044/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply