New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning and Sanitizing Bottles...OMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For my initial wash I let them soak in the large basement sink overnight. I clean them all out using a bottle brush. I cut the ring off and insert the straight shaft into my drill. That cleans anything out pronto...

After I fill, I empty, then I rinse them 3-4 times to get them washed out. I don't ever wash them again.

I rinse them out with Starsan and place them on the bottle tree. Sanitize the bottle tree first by spraying SS on it from the top down...let sit for 1 minute and repeat.

Then I use that sanitizer/sulfiter (the red plastic thing pictured earlier) and place the bottles on the tree.

Mulcahey's Brewing: BTW, Grolsch isn't from Germany... vbmenu_register("postmenu_494908", true);

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I got a bottle washer. about $10, attaches to faucet. Works great, on carboys too. I rinse bottles after use with hot water. On bottling day, I fill the slop sink with cold water and bleach. I use 22 oz bottles. I dunk four at a time and let sit while I'm I boil bottling sugar. Then rinse in hot water with bottle washer and drain on bottle tree. Whole process including bottling takes about an hour. I also bottle in basment now instread of kitchen away from everybody. That cuts a half hour off the time at least. By the way, have not had a problem using bleach.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bleach works just fine. Just keep you available Cl lever up and you are good.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #24
Arrog@nt B@st@rd
Recipes 

If you use Grolsch flip tops (16 ouncers) like I do, then you only gotta clean about 36 of them.

Primary: Kitty Hawk Porter
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kitty Hawk Porter, SNPA Clone
Kegged: Blackberry Stout
Drinking: Kitty Hawk Porter, Blackberry Stout

Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #25
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidicem
...Then one pump on this thing with Star San and they are ready to go.
I've tried Starsan through this contraption and really prefer to use Iodophor instead because it doesn't foam all over the place after only 5 bottles...

Comments anyone??

Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #26
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP
Labels will generally come off very easily when soakwd in Oxyclean.

What I do for just-consumed beer:
- triple rinse with hot water
- de-label (commercial beers only, I don't label my homebrew)
- drain upside down
- store upside down in case
- sanitize just before bottling with StarSan using the vinator pump (a nice picture of one was provided on page 1 of this post)

Plus, if you use starsan, don't rinse it out, just fill your beer into the foam. That is how it was designed to be used and it will not affect your beer. Rinsing it out defeats the purpose of using it in the first place.
+1 thats how I do it except I use Vinegar to remove the labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I've tried Starsan through this contraption and really prefer to use Iodophor instead because it doesn't foam all over the place after only 5 bottles...

Comments anyone??
I have never had a foaming problem with the Starsan & the Vinator

Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #27
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My starsan foams plenty with the vinator, but not enough to bother me or affect things. I usually dunk my flip-top 'flippies' in the foam while I get the next couple bottles ready to sanitize.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 01-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #28
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Ok finally got everything bottled up. Yield was exactly 44 bottles. I lost some racking from primary to bottling bucket. Left maybe a half inch of product on top of the yeast gunk at the bottom. That was probably a full beer right there.

Now that I think about it, I must not have had 5 gallons to begin with. The wort level was about 1.5 inches below the support ring around the top of the 5 gallon bucket during fermentation.

How do you guys measure out your 5 gallons when you cook up your wort? I pre-boiled 2.5 gallons of water, measured with a half gallon milk jug. Dumped that into the primary, then boiled up another 2.5 gallons and threw in the DME/hops.

Next time should I top off the bucket up to the support ring when I pitch?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #29
millstone
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP
My starsan foams plenty with the vinator, but not enough to bother me or affect things. I usually dunk my flip-top 'flippies' in the foam while I get the next couple bottles ready to sanitize.
+1
I also like to dunk the heads of my bottles in the foam, so as they sit waiting to be filled, the foam (I believe) helps keep things out of the bottle

tom

Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #30
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have worked out a system that seems to work pretty well.

If the bottles are new to me, but previously used, I soak them in bleach water for about 3 days. Then I use my bottle washer to blast them out really well, with really hot water. Our water gets to about 180ºF, which cleans them really well.

If the bottles are mine: I never drink out of the bottles. This helps keep them clean. If people are drinking directly out of the bottle, bacteria from their mouths collect in the bottle and around the lip. These need to be cleaned in the way I described above.

After proper rinsing (of my own bottles) I hang them on the bottle tree to dry. When I have 24 bottles on the tree, I put them in a box, right side up, and cover them with a sheet of plastic wrap. This keeps them clean until I'm ready to bottle.

On bottling day, I go through the whole bottling process, only with sanitizer first (I used Iodophor). I fill my bottling bucket with 5 gallons of sanitizer, attach my hose, and wand, and fill my bottles with sanitizer. I allow the bottles to sit for about 10 minutes. Then I dump them back into the bottling bucket and dip the neck into the sanitizer so the lip gets sanitized. Then I hang them back on the bottling tree to dry.

Then I repeat the process with beer!

This has worked really well for me. I've never had an infection.
Some people prefer to keg b/c it is easier, but I really enjoy opening a bottle, hearing the "psst", and pouring it into the glass. Plus, I can have a lot of varieties of beer on hand. If you want to do that with kegs, you have to have lots of kegs, which are expensive. Bottles are cheap/free.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Quick Reply