Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning and Sanitizing Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
thenick18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Cleaning and Sanitizing Bottles

I am ready to bottle my first batch this Saturday 8.18.12. Is this viable as an acceptable way to clean and sanitize? I was planning on giving the bottles an overnight soak in a bleach bath. Then to santize, a bath of Lo-Star or whatever its called no-rinse sanitizer, then let the bottles dry on a rack. Any feed back would be appreciated as this is my first batch, I want to make sure I do things correctly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Cleaning- Overnight soak in oxyclean followed by a thorough rinising.

Santizing- The sanitizers we use are wet contact/no-rinse sanitzers. That means they are at their most effective when the sanitizer is still wet and clinging to the surface. Anything that then comes in contact with that sanitizer barrier is then neutralized. On the other hand if we let out sanitizer dry, anything landing on the surface renders that object no longer sanitized. So you want to just sanitize fresh.

Check out my bottling sticky for more tips and tricks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2272 Times on 1977 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

I wouldn't use bleach,as it needs to be rinsed thoroughly & would negate any sanitizing effects. A no rinse sanitizer like starsan is the most preferred. I use a vinator on top of my bottle tree to sanitize right before filling. I also dip my o2 barrier caps in starsan as well.
Just make sure the bottles are clean before sanitizing them.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I like oxyclean for soaking bottles. But if you rinse out the bottles immediately after pouring, there really is no soak required. I rinse them out 3 times with hot water and drain upside down. Put them in storage dry.

Then when its time to bottle, I use a vinator with starsan. You can also pour 1/2 oz or so and swish thoroughly, although this will take much longer. Bottle tree makes draining the residual starsan easy. Agree with revvy about keeping surfaces wet with starsan prior to bottle filling.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
tswea1
Recipes 

I am very new to this hobby but I figured I'd let you know how I bottled the last time. Everything I read on here made me alittle worried about bottling but it turned out fine. After finishing a beer I would rinse the bottle out and throw it in the dishwasher and run it with the dishes. After that store them until bottling time. On bottling day I loaded the dishwasher with just beer bottles and run the sanitation cycle on my dishwasher with no soap. While the dishwasher was running I sanitized everything I was going to need to bottle. I have a plastic tub that can fit 6 bottle completely submerged. I filled up the tub with some star-san and threw six bottles in there along with the bottle caps. Pulled out a bottle and dumped the star san back into the tub. Then filled the bottle in the sink using a bottling wand as to save on post bottling cleanup time in case of drips and placed a bottle cap on top and placed the full bottles on a towel on kitchen counter. Finished filling all six bottles that were soaking in star san and placed 6 new bottles into tub. Then went and capped, rinsed, dried, and stored the 6 full bottles. It took me roughly 3 hours start to finish to do a 5 gallon batch. Again I am pretty new to this but this is how I did it and it worked good for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
smalltownbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am sure tired of people saying not to rinse equipment with water after its been sanitized, doesn't make frickin difference, I do it everytime and after ten batches of beer, no infection. Just don't use toilet water, common sense, I even use the outside garden hose.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Why would you bother to rinse a "no rinse" sanitizer? It's just extra work.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownbrewer View Post
I am sure tired of people saying not to rinse equipment with water after its been sanitized, doesn't make frickin difference, I do it everytime and after ten batches of beer, no infection. Just don't use toilet water, common sense, I even use the outside garden hose.
You'll do it until you get your first infection, and then maybe you'll understand why.

Just because you do something stupid, and don't have a repercussion from it, doesn't mean that some day you won't. Just that you've been lucky.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

static Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I clean all my bottles with Oxyclean, rinse with my jet sprayer, then sanitize w/ Starsan in a bucket. If I have help we do a production line of this, if I'm alone I do all the bottles in Oxyclean, then rinse them all in a batch, then sanitize them all. I line up the sanitized bottles, with foam clinging, on the floor and bottle them all in a line, then move them to the table in batches and cap.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownbrewer View Post
I do it everytime and after ten batches of beer, no infection.
So you're a new brewer then, eh. No reason to rinse with water, that defeats the purpose of a no rinse sanitizer. Don't fear the foam n00b

Quick Reply