Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning and sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
hudsonj6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cleaning and sanitizing

I did some searching and haven't really found the exact answer to my question. For cleaning I have some pink stuff (not sure the exact name of it but I know is a chlorine based cleaner and sanitizer if you let it sit long enough) and metabisulfite for sanitizing. My first batch I cleaned and sanitized everything before use and then after brewing I cleaned my equipment again (with the pink stuff). I was just wondering if for future brews do I need to use the pink stuff to clean the equipment again and then sanitize or would it be okay to just give everything a quick rinse and then sanitize it? I cleaned and sanitized prior to my second batch which can't really hurt anything by being super clean but I'm just wondering if the cleaning twice (after use and then again prior to brewing) is necessary?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't clean anything twice. If I have cleaned it, I just rinse it before the second use. And of course sanitize it.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
HighGravity
Recipes 

If the pink stuff is: Sanibrew?Diversol/RJ Spagnols pink powder then it does everything. Normally I used bleach as a cleaner/disinfectant all in one, but have switched to this "pink powder" with various names as it cleans a little stronger. If that IS what you have, then just clean whatever you have with your bare hands/clean cloth and hot water, then soak in this for 20 min or up to 2 days, then rinse and use.

The confusion results from using "cleaners" for wine or dishes that arent meant for beer. Yje pink powder or bleach will clean/sanitize in one step. Myself I always wait 2 days if it is stained and really dirty. If it looks clean, then just 20 min. Use the same stuff in either situation as liquid or powdered bleach does the job. Mind you I have scratched up plastic containers that could hold bacteria if not using the proper procedure and chems

Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I don't clean anything twice. If I have cleaned it, I just rinse it before the second use. And of course sanitize it.
+1 (ten chars)

Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You clean to remove debris. You sanitize to knock down bacteria. If you have debris, clean it, rinse it, then sanitize. If you have no debris, then rinse and sanitize.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info, that'll save me a bit of time for my next batch.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

i also just recently heard that you should rinse with cold water? Anyone else do this? The thought being is that more bacteria can live in warm water. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot if you sanitize afterwards, but it can save on the water heater.

Quick Reply