Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cleaning equipment that may of been contaminated.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
wgonfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cleaning equipment that may of been contaminated.

I just bottled a batch that has some stringy growths and possibly a little tiny hint of sourness. I'm going to ride that batch out, but I'm brewing this weekend and don't have time or money to "throw out and replace all soft plastics" nor do I think that is necessary at this point. I just want to clean the S**t out of the equipment & hope I've got the bug. if the next batch shows sings of infection I'll buy new plastics. How do you guys go about thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing your plastic brewing stuffs? I have 4oz of starsan, some oxiclean & bleach (though I'd rather not use bleach because of past experiences) on hand. I want to sanitize my racking cane, autosiphon, hose, bottle wand, turkey baster, air locks & stoppers, ale pail, better bottle & bottling bucket. Is a two day soak in a strong (2oz/5gal) starsan solution after a good clean & rinse with oxyclean adequate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I would start with a "bleach bomb" first. Soak 24 hours in diluted bleach solution... Rinse the crap out of it to get as much bleach residue out as possible. Then follow the bleach with a good oxy clean scrubbing. After that, do an overnight star-san soak. I cannot guarantee that this will kill the infection, but if I had those 3 cleaning supplies, and a possible infection, that is what I would do.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
I would start with a "bleach bomb" first. Soak 24 hours in diluted bleach solution... Rinse the crap out of it to get as much bleach residue out as possible. Then follow the bleach with a good oxy clean scrubbing. After that, do an overnight star-san soak. I cannot guarantee that this will kill the infection, but if I had those 3 cleaning supplies, and a possible infection, that is what I would do.
you'd want the bleach to be at about 100ppm.

Start by putting about 1oz white vinegar per 5 gallons of water in whatever vessel you are gonna soak in, then add the water, then add 3oz household bleach per 5 gallons. That should get you between 100 and 150 ppm of hypochlorite.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd hit it with the Oxy-clean or some other alkaline cleaner first. This will help to remove any organic material. Once it is clean, then you can bleach it. It is always better to sanitize a clean surface as any crud could potentially block access of the sanitizer to the surface.

To help remove the bleach afterward, dissolve a camden tablet (or similar dechlorinator) in your rinse water. It really helps to remove any bleach residue. Then proceed with starsan before brewing

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
I'd hit it with the Oxy-clean or some other alkaline cleaner first. This will help to remove any organic material. Once it is clean, then you can bleach it. It is always better to sanitize a clean surface as any crud could potentially block access of the sanitizer to the surface.

To help remove the bleach afterward, dissolve a camden tablet (or similar dechlorinator) in your rinse water. It really helps to remove any bleach residue. Then proceed with starsan before brewing
Well, bleach is continually corrosive to biofilms, so 24hr in bleach is called for after cleaning is called for regardless.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Bleach is your friend

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

+ 1 on the bleach bomb and the vinegar + water + bleach is the best combination.
Here is something to think about, both the vinegar+water+bleach combination and star-san are acidic and could cause surface etching on plastics so some caution is advised.

If it were me I would be looking for some Iodophor.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR
+ 1 on the bleach bomb and the vinegar + water + bleach is the best combination.
Here is something to think about, both the vinegar+water+bleach combination and star-san are acidic and could cause surface etching on plastics so some caution is advised.

If it were me I would be looking for some Iodophor.
I soak all my plastics (that will fit in a 5gal bucket) in 50+ppm bleach when not in use. All i've noticed so far is that my siphon hose gets cloudy and it corroded the natural gum bulb on my dollar store turkey baster.

Keep in mind that bleach and metal do not get along for long soaks, and that mixing bleach and star-san will result in chlorine released into the liquid which is very corrosive.

Metal and glass can be autoclaved in a pressure cooker at 15 atmospheres for 15 minutes. Just make sure you don't boil off all of the water.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

just oxiclean & starsan should be enough, i use the same equipment with brett/bugs & clean beers without doing anything special and havent had any contamination. if its scratched up or makes u feel better, the bleach will certainly help, just make sure to rinse alot.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'd hit it with everything I could, bleach or otherwise, and rinse really well.

Actually, I'd ditch anything plastic without much hesitation. Only exception would be a Better Bottle; other than that, a lost batch of ingredients is close enough to a full replacement cost of the plastics that I'd pretty readily swap out. (Actually just had to do this with a racking cane and some siphon hose because I foolishly failed to clean them out immediately after use, then left them soaking in Saniclean for too long... the Saniclean lost its power and crud started growing on/in them.)

Quick Reply