*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
rms5555
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Cleaning Bottles

I know, the best way to clean bottles is to start kegging my beer. But seriously folks, I was wondering if hand cleaning the bottles and then running them through my dishwasher with a sanitize cycle is enough or should I still rinse them with Star San after they go through the dishwasher? I would like to eliminate the Star San step is possible.

FYI, using the sanitize cycle in my dishwasher raises the temperature of the water to 155°F(68°C) for the final rinse cycle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
rms5555
Recipes 

Forgot to mention that I hand wash with OxyClean and the dishwasher is only used for the rinsing. No detergent used in the Dishwasher at all.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A lot of homebrewers sanitize in the dishwasher. I use StarSan personally, but a good number of folks use the dishwasher exclusively with good results.

Edit: As for rinsing in the dishwasher, you might have trouble getting the insides of the bottles rinsed thoroughly as it's hard for the jets of water to get inside the bottles due to the narrow neck.

If I use OxyClean on my bottles (to soak off labels, for example), I rinse by hand for this reason.

When it comes to just washing bottles, though, frankly, I personally don't. As soon as I've poured, I head over to the sink with the bottle, and give it a good thorough rinse with warm water right away. That's all the washing I ever do, though I sanitize at bottling time, of course.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

rms5555 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I think this was one of my best purchases for bottling...

http://morebeer.com/products/sanitiz...ttle-tree.html

For what it's worth... I rinse bottle as soon as used with hot water and let dry upside down. Then simply use the below device to sanitize with star san before bottling. Simple.....

Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts

I run my bottles twice through the rinse cycle part of the dishwasher. No problems yet. I do make sure to rinse them out well after emptying them though and store them upside down to minimize any standing water.

I'm also in an apartment with a crappy dishwasher and have had no problems.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

rms5555 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
MadCnty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally I hand wash my bottles (no dishwasher, hard water) with PBW before storing them... I then use a vinator to sanitize at bottling time with Star San, as it only take a minimal amount to do so when using the rinser...

Old 08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
bigmike99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also run my bottles through the dishwasher when not kegging. I do make sure to rinse all the bottles immediately after drinking to get any yeast hanging on the bottom out before I store them. This and a hot rinse and 2x hot dry cycles may be overkill but better safe than sorry.

Untappd-Mombo

rms5555 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
rms5555
Recipes 

Sounds like I may be doing a little more cleaning then I need to as I also rinse my bottles with hot water right after use. Thanks for the tips.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 79

This has been my process for the past 10 years or so. Not one infection.

After emptying a bottle - drinking the beer - I rince 3 times and hang on my bottle tree. Continue that process until the tree is full and all of the bottles have dried. Then store the bottles until I'm ready to bottle more beer.

A day or two before bottling, I put as many bottles in the dishwasher as can fit, then run them through. I don't sanitize the dishwasher... use dry dishwashing detergent as I would with dished. After the heat cycle finishes, I unload the bottles. I repeat this process until all of the bottles I'll need for bottling have been run through.

Bottling day.... I sanitize the bottles using the bottling tree. I think I used the bottle brush the first time I bottled. That was a big waste of time I thought. I'm a keep it simple kind of guy. As long as the bottles are rinsed well as soon as I empty beer out of them, and I clean them in the dish washer, I figured that would work just fine.

I've never had a problem with this process.... knock on wood. I'm sure I'll see an infection at some point, but haven't had one yet.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
This has been my process for the past 10 years or so. Not one infection.

After emptying a bottle - drinking the beer - I rince 3 times and hang on my bottle tree. Continue that process until the tree is full and all of the bottles have dried. Then store the bottles until I'm ready to bottle more beer.

A day or two before bottling, I put as many bottles in the dishwasher as can fit, then run them through. I don't sanitize the dishwasher... use dry dishwashing detergent as I would with dished. After the heat cycle finishes, I unload the bottles. I repeat this process until all of the bottles I'll need for bottling have been run through.

Bottling day.... I sanitize the bottles using the bottling tree. I think I used the bottle brush the first time I bottled. That was a big waste of time I thought. I'm a keep it simple kind of guy. As long as the bottles are rinsed well as soon as I empty beer out of them, and I clean them in the dish washer, I figured that would work just fine.

I've never had a problem with this process.... knock on wood. I'm sure I'll see an infection at some point, but haven't had one yet.
Do you have any issues with the head on the beer? I've seen using detergent can affect that.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Quick Reply