Originally Posted by revco
This is my process and it's worked flawlessly, every time. I get really clean bottles, excellent head retention and have not once had an off flavor or infection due to bottles. And I've cleaned some gnarly looking bottles.
1. Jet wash bottles to get any major gunk out
2. Soak in oxyclean for 24 hours, stirring bottles at least once
3. Jet wash bottles
4. Dip in light lemon juice or vinegar solution (to prevent oxy spots)
5. Dip in water to remove lemon juice / vinegar
6. Jet wash bottle again to remove any lemon juice inside
7. Dry, case and store
8. Squirt twice with vinator when bottling
I use around 3-4 cups of Oxyclean per 15 gallons of water if it's a new batch of bottles from an unknown source and about 2 cups if they're my rinsed bottles. Hope that helps.
dang, that's WAY overkill on the oxyclean. for 15 gallons 3 of those 1 oz scoops is more than enough to peel the hide off a donkey let along clean out bottles