New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cleaning bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
mike024
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heating gradually to 338, and leaving them in the oven to cool after the bake relieves any chance of thermal shock. 338
° is to low of a temp to change the molecular structure so there is no worry of " weakened glass". Since the bottles is where you condition your brew why not kill ALL bacteria as opposed to MOST that you get from sanitizing. I would rather spend that hour of cleaning 48 bottles to focus on my sanitation of the plastics and proper preparation of my boil and wort cool down process.
Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was speaking in terms of time,not weakened the first time out. I'm sure you knew what I meant when you made those obvious comments. So don't be degrading. It can grdually weaken over time with many heating & cooling cycles.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Mike is pretty much spot on with this one. If you heat and cool slowly, and keep the temps to below 375 F (best to set your oven to under 350, as oven temps regularly vary by 25 degrees), you'll probably never get "fatigue" in the glass from repeated cycles. In fact, in soda lime glass, most changes in structure can't occur under 500 F. Chances are you'll give the bottle away, or drop it, well before you ever get to enough cycles to even start to see any issues. I'm not saying this to be degrading in any way, just pointing it out. I'm a materials engineer, and while I don't currently work with glass, it is one of the materials that schools do a lot of training on (it's cheap, easy to find, and complex enough to be of educational value!).

That being said, I STILL find it faster and easier to soak, scrub, rinse and sanitize. It's incredibly fast, and you have to scrub prior to heating in the oven anyways. I've never had a bottle issue doing this.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
mike024
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No disrespect intended.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I just rinse them thoroughly immediately after pouring and let them dry. On bottling day I soak them in Starsan for a minute, shake, drain and bottle. No problems thus far. Am I being reckless? Will I get infected soon?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #16
revco
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is my process and it's worked flawlessly, every time. I get really clean bottles, excellent head retention and have not once had an off flavor or infection due to bottles. And I've cleaned some gnarly looking bottles.

1. Jet wash bottles to get any major gunk out
2. Soak in oxyclean for 24 hours, stirring bottles at least once
3. Jet wash bottles
4. Dip in light lemon juice or vinegar solution (to prevent oxy spots)
5. Dip in water to remove lemon juice / vinegar
6. Jet wash bottle again to remove any lemon juice inside
7. Dry, case and store
8. Squirt twice with vinator when bottling

I use around 3-4 cups of Oxyclean per 15 gallons of water if it's a new batch of bottles from an unknown source and about 2 cups if they're my rinsed bottles. Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
I just rinse them thoroughly immediately after pouring and let them dry. On bottling day I soak them in Starsan for a minute, shake, drain and bottle. No problems thus far. Am I being reckless? Will I get infected soon?
There was a thread the other day where a guy was starting to get gushers and he didn't know why. While we probably won't know his exact problem immediately, one subject that came up was bottle washing. Like you, and like many other people, I used to do the shake-and-rinse right after emptying a bottle. Then I'd store it dry and sanitize before use. Just recently I started seeing a stubborn yeast residue that seemed to build up to a visible level after several uses. I haven't gotten gushers yet, and I've been using these same bottles in heavy rotation for about 2 years, but it made me realize that I should pay more attention to deep-cleaning bottles. Since I haven't had problems yet, and bottle cleaning is already plenty of work, I figure I'll deep-clean with Oxiclean a few times a year. But you should inspect your bottles very closely, and if you see any spots or residue on the inside, give them a hot Oxiclean soak.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #18
darth5aint
Recipes 

Is a jet bottle washer enough if done immediately after pouring. If is buying one still worth the money

Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #19
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5aint
Is a jet bottle washer enough if done immediately after pouring. If is buying one still worth the money
I wouldn't use it alone. I'd soak in PBW at least every 2nd batch. But they certainly help with rinsing, so a jet washer can be a good investment.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
AWNbrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
Instead of just rinsing them I also run them through the dishwasher. Then when its time to bottle I rinse/soak them I star san for a moment and have never ran into a sanitation issue. Knock on wood.

In Primary: Nothing :(
In secondary: Nothing :(
Bottled : Irish Red ale

Quick Reply