Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cleaning Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
msppilot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Cleaning Bottles

I am just wondering what techniques everyone is using to clean their bottles. I currently use Oxy Clean and a brush to clean each bottle. I then rinse them out with hot water before sanitizing. This method works, but is slow. Just curious what others are doing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

dishwasher, then they take a star san bath prior to bottling.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by msppilot View Post
I am just wondering what techniques everyone is using to clean their bottles. I currently use Oxy Clean and a brush to clean each bottle. I then rinse them out with hot water before sanitizing. This method works, but is slow. Just curious what others are doing?
That's how I deal with bottles that have not been in my pipeline.

After I've bottled with them and enjoyed the brew I make sure to rinse each out with hot water, put on bottle tree and just use starsan in a vinator on the next bottling day.

bosco

Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
msppilot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_horno
dishwasher, then they take a star san bath prior to bottling.
Do you use normal dish soap in the dishwasher? I am always afraid of bot getting all the soap out.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
mbosco
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do a hot water rinse, soak in hot Oxy bath/cooler, then one more hot water rinse. After that, a couple shots of Starsan prior to bottling and I haven't had any issues.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I also soak new (recycled commercial) bottles in Oxyclean to remove the labels and any gunk in there.

Afterward I use a bottle washer on the kitchen faucet to rinse out the bottles after use then store them. On bottling day I check the bottles and either wash them again with the bottle washer and a brush or just sanitize them using Starsan in my Vinator.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by msppilot View Post
Do you use normal dish soap in the dishwasher? I am always afraid of bot getting all the soap out.
Yea normal soap. The dunks in the star san will take care of anything left over prior to botteling.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
After I've bottled with them and enjoyed the brew I make sure to rinse each out with hot water, put on bottle tree and just use starsan in a vinator on the next bottling day.
Same here, although I rinse mine out before I sanitize, as I store them in the basement where they get exposed to dryer lint.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 63 Posts

Freshly emptied, labeled bottles go in a 7 gallon bucket with Oxyclean. When the bucket is full the labels have basically fallen off and are then moved to a 55 gallon drum with a dilute bleach solution. Any that have no labels go straight to the drum. The day before bottling 50 are removed and rinsed. Bottle day they are rinsed with Starsan and filled.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 68 Posts

Pretty similar to your method but I don't rinse before sanitizing.

New (or neglected) bottles go into an oxyclean bath (labels, dirt), brush them out (if required), rinse with real hot water and stick them on the tree. Once dry I store them in the cardboard cases they came in. I put a double layer of paper towel in the bottom to soak up any final drips and stick the bottles in upside down. I've lost a couple of bottles doing this through clumsiness but only had one that I couldn't get clean. When I started home brewing I got a bunch of empty bottles from some family members. Some of them looked pretty sketchy (bottles not family members) but oxyclean and elbow grease got them all sparkling, except one. I don't know what it was down there (tar?) but it defeated me and the bottle found a new home in the recycling bin.

For my bottles that already have homebrew in them I just rinse with hot water and drain on the tree before putting them back in their boxes. The key is to do this as soon as possible, right after the bottle is emptied is best.

On bottling day I just sanitize the inside of the bottle and the top of the neck using a star-san in a bottle washer and then drain on the tree. I don't rinse before sanitizing because the bottles are clean and since they are stored upside down nothing can fall into them.

Quick Reply