Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cleaning a better bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
jonp9576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default cleaning a better bottle

so i might be missing something here, but i just bought a better bottle to ferment in. i am afraid to use it. how do i clean it? i cant get my hand in there. how do i get the krausen(sp) off of the sudes. its easy with my ale pail, just wipe it off with a sponge.
do you just put some water in there and shake?

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
2001SE
Recipes 

I juste let it soak with my cleaning solution, and after a couple minute i give it a good shake. Rinse and shake with water a couple times, and your good to go! You can use a brush if it is really dirty.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Try filling it with some oxyclean first (get the oxyclean "free") if you can, and let the foam do some work. Then, you might look at this technique, which involves baking soda and rice for some gentle abrasion inside: The Cross Street Irregulars Brew Club.

What I also find effective is bending a bottle brush (or you can buy an angled brush for this purpose), and loosening all the crud so it will wash off. Then, I take my garden hose, which has a multi spray attachment, hold the bottle upside down over the sink, and spray up into it for awhile. If you're using oxyclean, you want to be sure to rinse well.

Works for me!

And for this reason, I don't ferment in carboys unless I'm out of buckets, or unless I suspect there is going to be a need for a blowoff tube--like with a saison or similarly vigorously fermenting yeast.

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
tom777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The oxyclean definitely works. I just put a gallon or 2 in the better bottle and stand it up-side-down -- neck down into a small/medium pan full of water/oxyclean solution. The air pressure will keep the oxyclean in the better bottle. It'll take the crud right off.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Ridge Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A good Oxyclean soak and then dump out most of the water. Leave about a gallon then put a washcloth inside the bottle and swirl it around. The soak usually takes care of most of the crud and the washcloth polishes it up.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

I was under the impression that you should not use any sort of brush on a BB because it will scratch that special BB coating and make it more likely to get an infection.

I use my 5gal BB as a secondary....I have some damn spices (from my pumpkin ale) stuck in this one spot near the top that I cant get off. I could reach it with a brush...but ive been trying to get at it with some spent sanitizer that I left in there for a few weeks.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsWickedBrew View Post
I was under the impression that you should not use any sort of brush on a BB because it will scratch that special BB coating and make it more likely to get an infection.

I use my 5gal BB as a secondary....I have some damn spices (from my pumpkin ale) stuck in this one spot near the top that I cant get off. I could reach it with a brush...but ive been trying to get at it with some spent sanitizer that I left in there for a few weeks.
Sanitizer is not a good cleanser especially for stuck on stuff. It'll sanitize the gunk but it won't get rid of it. +5 for the Oxyclean. It really does do wonders.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
BearsWickedBrew
Recipes 

Looks like I need add Oxyclean to the list. I have some PBW...but once I realized how much of it you have to use for 5 gallons...I started to cut corners on my "cleaning" process and tried to boost my "sanitizing" process....even tho you can't really sanitize something if nots clean. I need to be more diligent about cleaning before it comes back to bite me in the A$$. Sorry jonp9576...dont mean to hijack the thread.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used Oxiclean on both glass and BB carboys.

I put about 1/2 a scoop and fill it with warm water and leave it a few hours. Everything is gone when I pour it out and then I just rinse with fresh water from my kitchen sprayer.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

+1 on the oxyclean. That's all I use for my BBs... let them soak for a day or two (or three or four if I'm lazy) and then rinse them out well. Never had a problem with left-over crud.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply