New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Clean-Up Phase Wort Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Apoxbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Clean-Up Phase Wort Temp?

Should wort still be held at 68-70 during the "clean-up" phase of fermentation? CO2 production has ceased at this point (for a few days now actually) so just wondering if I can shut off the brew belt or if I still need to hold at temp.

Thanks for the info!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you are certain fermentation has completed (checked with a hydrometer), you can turn off the brew belt now - colder temperatures will actually help in cleaning up by dropping a lot of the remnants out of suspension...

Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
krumb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

was wondering the same thing. the temp where my fermentation is taking place has dropped from 67-69, down to 62-64. this is on day 5, with little blowoff air action.

good to know.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
Apoxbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

okay... is a reading today and then another reading tomorrow okay or do i need to wait more than one day to see if there's a change in readings before making the decision to turn off belt?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
poley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A couple days in a row should be good, but checking your final gravity reading is more important. If you're way off from your final gravity, you might want to agitate the brew to get the yeast back in suspension to keep going.

Also temp drop after vigorous fermentation is normal, as fermentation is an exothermic reaction (it creates heat).

There are two kinds of post-fermentation cleanup -- there's the diacetyl cleanup which happens best over 60F, and there's also the sediment dropout which happens best down around freezing. Depends on which you're going for.

Quick Reply