The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Clean Plastic Fermentor with Soap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Nickhouse80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clean Plastic Fermentor with Soap?

I've just bottled my first batch ever. I used a Brewers Best Kit and I'm wondering if it will hurt to wash my plastic fermentor and bottling bucket with soap and water. I assume it won't hurt to wash my glass carboy with soap and water. There is a brown film in these fermentors and I just want my equipment to be clean until my next batch (which will be coming soon because this was an incredible experience!!) Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Soap and water will work. An oxyclean soak works wonders on stuck on residue.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would suggest NOT using just regular dish type soap. This will leave a residue that can impact the head retention qualities of your beers. Use something like Oxyclean, One Step cleaner, and many others.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer View Post
I would suggest NOT using just regular dish type soap. This will leave a residue that can impact the head retention qualities of your beers. Use something like Oxyclean, One Step cleaner, and many others.
Thanks for the back-up Kilted. Don't use regular soap and rinse well regardless of what you use. Sorry about the bad info.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I use oxyclean and warm water...and usually soak overnight. The fizzy breaks even the toughest krauzen rings...You never have to scrub, just rinse thoroughly after.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply