Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > clarrification question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhead
what would be the advantage of reusing the yeast? most kits come with a new packet of yeast. would i be improving - or speeding up the process by reusing the yeast?
What I reuse is liquid yeast. I rarely use dry yeast. I would not reuse dry yeast. As you said, it's free with a kit (but I don't do kits), but it is cheap enough.

Reusing liquid yeast from a primary definitely speeds up the activity when used right away. It is comparable to making a yeast starter, but with fewer steps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
andre the giant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been brewing all grain batches agressively (IMO) for the last 8 months and I've come to like the idea of putting a couple bottles of each kind of yeast in the fridge so I can brew more "spontaniously." If you're brewing with kits, there's really not point to saving the yeast in my opinion.

Enjoy!

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply