New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Citra Pale Ale - Boil Pot (not Aluminum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Time-Travelers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Citra Pale Ale - Boil Pot (not Aluminum)

I have a Citra Pale Ale kit. The instructions list the 'Equipment Required' and it specifically says (not Aluminum) for the Boil Pot. This will be my 6th kit and I've never seen the instructions say 'not aluminum'. Does this have anything to do with the Citra hops?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No, ignore it. I use an aluminum brew pot, they are fine.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
vortexla

Recipes 

Just ignore it, an aluminum pot works fine. I use an aluminum pot for both my HLT and boil kettle.

Upcoming: All Cascade IPA, Brett L Pale Ale, Brett A Pale Ale, Brett B Pale Ale, Sour Belgian Pale Ale, pLambic, Gose, Oaked RIS
Primary: Munich Helles, Strawberry Mead
Bottled: Brett C Blonde Ale, Berliner Weiss, Orange Mead

Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

They want you to buy a shiney expensive SS pot. Just like the say ferment for a week... so you'll buy more product faster.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the kit, i.e. fruit?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there a cleaner included like one-step or oxyclean? You can't use these on aluminum.

Thanks for the input

Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
kgraber
Recipes 

Is this the kit from AHS? If so, please let me know how it turns out.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes. Citra hops eat through aluminum instantaneously. Buy a 200 pot and all your worries will be a thing of the past.

Seriously. You have nothing to worry about. And you can use oxyclean/onestep on aluminum.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Time-Travelers
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Everyone - will be brewing this week!

Nothing unusual in the kit; grains, all citra hops, LME/DME, yeast. This is my first time using Citra so that's why I thought it might have had something to do with it...

Kit is from Cap n Cork in SE Michigan.

Last kit, after this I'm moving to all grain - BIAB : )

Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
And you can use oxyclean/onestep on aluminum.
...to clarify

Quote:
Aluminum reacts readily with oxygen to form a thin layer of alumina (Al2O3), which is hard and sticks tenaciously to the surface of the metal. This process is called passivation. Once a passivated layer is formed, it doesn't get any thicker because it protects the base unoxidized metal from reacting further...although you *can* make a tremendous fire out of powdered aluminum. They use such material along with iron oxide to make thermite, which burns hot enough to generate molten iron...it is used to weld train rails together.

Certain materials will react with the alumina and aluminum, namely strong alkalis. As someone who once heard of a dude whose cousin's friend made drano bombs as a teenager, I can attest to the fact that sodium hydroxide (lye) will rapidly dissolve alumina and aluminum (generating heat and hydrogen gas on the way).

One-step or Oxyclean are made primarily of sodium peroxycarbonate. When it decomposes, it releases oxygen just like hydrogen peroxide does...this is what gives you the sanitizing activity. After the peroxide is gone, you are left with sodium carbonate, which is also known as washing soda. It is a moderately strong base...stronger than sodium bicarbonate, but much weaker than sodium hydroxide. If you notice your hands feel a little slippery after washing up with One-step/oxyclean, it's because the sodium carbonate reacts with the oils (which are weak acids) on your skin and turns them to soap. This is a classic test for whether you just got lye on yourself...if your skin is slippery, keep rinsing until it's gone or you will be treated to a chemical burn.

I have not done any tests, but the percarbonate sanitizers will probably not wreck your aluminum equipment if you take it easy. Don't let the oxyclean sit in your keggle for hours, don't boil it, and rinse it off when you're done. Searching the tubes for peroxycarbonate and aluminum brings up a variety of information that does not condemn using them together, but does give some warnings.

If it's an option stainless steel is a lot less trouble because you can use just about anything you want on it. Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid, which may eat up your aluminum. Bleach is not great for stainless (it's a long-term cracking problem) but will corrode aluminum (bleach = sodium hydroxide + chlorine gas). Abrasive cleaners (soft scrub, etc.) will scuff the aluminum but probably not the stainless.

Thanks for the input

Quick Reply