Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Citra hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
oze152
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Citra hops

Does anyone know where I can buy citra hops, or alternatively, if there is any reasonably close substitute? Every place I have looked, locally and online, either doesn't carry citra or is sold out. From what I have read citra is a difficult hop to sub for because it has a unique profile. HELP!

~Oze~

Next Up: Winter Ale (Snow Cap Clone)
Fermenting: Pumpkin Ale; Oktoberfest
Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout;Barleywine; White IPA
Bottled: Belgian Wit; Island Pale Ale; Mac & Jacks Clone; Temptation Ale; Not Your Ordinary Irish Red; Summer Shandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

If you can't find it, try using Columbus, or Simcoe, as they are also high alpha acid hops with citrus characteristics. You're right, Citra is unique, but those would be suitable subs. Simcoe is hard to find this time of year as well, so you may have to go with Columbus. If you aren't worried about the hop having high alpha acids, pretty much any American 'C' hop would do.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
WhizardHat
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Pellets are in stock at Northern Brewer:

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If you can't find it, try using Columbus, or Simcoe, as they are also high alpha acid hops with citrus characteristics. You're right, Citra is unique, but those would be suitable subs. Simcoe is hard to find this time of year as well, so you may have to go with Columbus. If you aren't worried about the hop having high alpha acids, pretty much any American 'C' hop would do.
i disagree. columbus and simcoe are very unique themselves and do not serve as a substitute for citra which is also very unique. like someone else pointed out, northern brewer has them in stock. i buy them by the pound, whatever the price, since they run out so fast.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
smiller
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I agree, as I said that citra is unique, but let's pretend N. Brewer didn't have it and he simply couldn't find it. Given it's high AA content and flavor characteristic, what would you say is the closest sub?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

, i just ordered a pound.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 87

MoreBeer does not have Citra hops in stock, but they are still selling the kit for (both AG and Extract), which contains 2 ounces of Citra. I'm not suggesting you pay $25 for 2 ounces of Citra hops, but if you've got Citra on the mind and want to brew a kickass kit, that is an option. I've made two kits' worth so far, and the end result has been universally lauded by friends (and me).

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Old 06-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I agree, as I said that citra is unique, but let's pretend N. Brewer didn't have it and he simply couldn't find it. Given it's high AA content and flavor characteristic, what would you say is the closest sub?
galaxy, or so i hear. galaxy is another rare hop but supposedly closer to citra than simcoe or columbus. my house pale ale, and 2nd place winner in this yrs World Beer Cup, is hopped with citra and simcoe and one is not really like the other outside of the fact that they are both high alpha acid hops. if i made that beer with two other types of hops it would not be the same beer, might be tasty but not the same. with the shortage of citra and simcoe i'm constantly on the prowl for those hops and always buy a pound as soon as i see them in stock somewhere. i bought a pound of galaxy (@ $55, ouch!) to see if it really is close to citra, they smell similar in the bag but the batch i brewed with them is still in the fermentor so i'm not sure how close it really is to citra.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brew your own has a label contest every year.
One beer was an all Citra pale ale or IPA. Label had hops on it and a donkey sitting down. Beer was called Citra Ass Down.

Pez.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I consider myself lucky that my local brew store has pellet and whole cone citra and simcoe in stock and not end to the madness!

Citra is a fantastic finishing hop, I hear that it's not that great as a 60 min addition, but awesome for the juicy citrus profile towards the end.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS