Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cidery taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
boutin73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cidery taste

I have read some reasons for a "cidery" taste. Some say sugar, some say corn sugar, some say it doesnt even matter. I have brewed about four batches, 3 of Mr.Beer, and one 6 gal recipe using Muntons extracts. The Mr.Beer always came out cidery so I decided to brew the larger batches and use the Muntons extracts, but I got the same result. So I know it something that I am doing. The recipe calls for 2.2lbs of sugar. I use corn sugar for this and priming, which I add to the bottle bucket instead of the bottles. Anybody know how to get rid of the cider flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
idkid
Recipes 

I also brewed two or three Mr. Beer brews before moving to larger batches of extract brews. If you are getting a cidery taste it is due to the cane/table sugar. Corn sugar (dextrose) does not contribute this cidery taste, in my experience. I would suggest ALWAYS substituting dme or corn sugar(dextrose) anytime a recipe calls for regular white table sugar. This goes for your main fermentation as well as priming. Also keep in mind, when you substitute the dme or corn sugar for cane sugar, you have to use a different amount. You typically don't substitue 1:1 on fermentables like this. Keep knocking out the brews though. Don't get discouraged.

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Old 04-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Don't use the sugar

Seriously, the classic cause of a "cidery" flavor is the excessive use of simple sugars, like corn sugar or table sugar. Get some dry malt extract to use in its place and I'll guarantee you that you will see a huge improvement in the end product.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
boutin73
Recipes 

Well as I said I only use the corn sugar, not table, so I guess it must be either one that contibutes. So If I use DME in place of sugar, how do I prime? You cant use DME for priming can you? Wouldnt that be cloudy?

Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

You can use DME for priming, no problem.

But, using corn sugar for priming's not the problem. You can use a small amount of corn sugar without problem, but once you start measuring your amounts in pounds, it becomes too much. I'd just swap out DME for the 2.2# in the recipe but keep using the corn sugar for priming. You've just got *too much* corn sugar, it shouldn't be more than ~10% of the total recipe.

I'm probably sub in about 3# of DME for the 2.2# corn sugar. DME's not quite as fermentable, so you'll have a much fuller mouthfeel as well.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
boutin73
Recipes 

Thanks! Ill be sure to try that next batch

Old 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
butler1850
Recipes 

Alas, when I was first into brewing, about 12 years ago, I made this error. I used WAY too much corn sugar to try to up the ABV of a batch.

Cider city.

Many years went by without brewing, and now I'm brewing like a madman. No more large quantities of corn sugar in my recipes any more.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

NO corn sugar is allowed in my kitchen (this is where i brew as well as cook, btw)

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
Geordiepete

Recipes 

I agree, once you make a beer with DME or LME, you won't use sugar again, the difference is huge!

Quick Reply