New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cider tasting beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
TurboJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider tasting beer

Hello, I am new at the whole brewing thing and need some help. I use coopers lager LME and 2 lbs of brown sugar. I think I messed up by only filling my bucket to the 5 gal mark instead of the 6 gal mark which the recipe called for. The beer turned out cidery. Too much sugar, not enough water? Can this be fixed or should I just drink it it's not bad but not good either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Too much sugar and possibly not enough water, hard to tell without the actual recipe and no, it probably will not get better

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 78 Posts

It depends... How long has it been since you brewed / bottled? Young, immature beer will have a green apple taste which will improve with age. If it has been a while (>3weeks in bottles), it could be permanent. The 2 lbs of brown sugar may be the culprit depending on the amount of other fermentables you used. The cidery flavor may also be esters that were produced if you fermented at too high a temperature. If you give us more information about your recipe and fermentation schedule, it could help narrow down the cause. Also, use the search function to look up "off flavors in beer" to learn more about potential causes and solutions to off flavors.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
TurboJ
Recipes 

Ok I will search that "off flavored " the beer has been in the bottle 2 weeks. The temp was 72-74 degrees F the whole fermentation . The only things I put in the fermentation bucket was Coopers LME, brown sugar 2 lbs, and enough cool tap water to git to the 5 gal mark. oh then pitched yeast that came with the LME.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
TurboJ
Recipes 

Oh forgot I fermented the wort for 7 days in primary then racked off to bottling bucket until SG was stable for 3 days so another 5 days then bottled.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I suspect too much brown sugar. The yeast that comes with Cooper's kits is pretty industrial too. Try brewing with corn sugar next time, or corn sugar plus a quarter or half pound of brown. Switch out the yeast for a better brand either dry or liquid.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could have Acetaldehyde. It is a flaw and off flavor in the beer coming from stressed yeast. If you are still in the fermentor, leave it there and the yeast will clean it up. In the future you will want to ensure healthy yeast by making a starter and controlling temperature if possible. Try a swamp cooler or even the bath tub. I wrote a series of articles on homebrew flaws http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=460

Next Up: Trippel

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Quick Reply