Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cider fermentation failed to start

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cider fermentation failed to start

So here's where I'm at and how I got here.

I put together a simple cider recipe based on EdWort's Apflewein. Instead of apple juice, I substituted cider, added 2 pounds of dextrose, and a package of Montracht Yeast and put it in the fermenter. My problem (and I don't know what I was thinking here) was to pitch the yeast in the cider but the cider was still relatively cold after getting it out of the grocer's cooler. It was probably 40 degrees or so. I figured the yeast would start, but it might not be for awhile (I had made EdWort's Apflewein once before following the recipe exactly and fermentation started about 12 hours after pitching).

Once I realized my mistake, I pulled out a small space heater and brought the temperature of the fermenter up to about 70 and pitched two more packets of yeast in case the cold killed them.

It has now been 48 hours and nothing is happening (at least there are no bubbles coming from the air lock).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can salvage this debacle or did I post too soon and I should just wait it out?

Much thanks in advance.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
kaptk2
Recipes 

RDWHABH, give it time, if it still has not started after 72 hours take a hydrometer reading to be sure. You may just not realize that it is fermenting.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So it had been 72 hours since pitching the first packet of yeast last night and still no fermentation. When I pitched the second two packets of yeast after 48 hours I just poured them in without aerating. Last night I cleaned out an ale pail and poured the cider from the carboy into the pail on top of another packet of yeast. I'll check tonight after work for fermentation. I hope this works, I've never had anything not start fermenting before.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Check the cider to make sure that it all natural, if not you might have killed your yeah
make sure it didnt have sorbic acid in it

Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Damn, I didn't check that when I bought it. Anyone have any suggestions if it does, in fact, contain sorbic acid? Is there any chance to salvage any of it for some purpose?

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Bubbles mean nothing...the airlock is a vent, nothing more...don't think that nothing's happening just because the airlock isn't moving. It is a cheap 2 dollar lump of chinese plastic...not a precision instrument...The only precision instrument that can tell you what is going on is your hydrometer...

Did you USE your hydrometer before pitching more yeast? Or just assume that no bubbles meant no fermentation?

It's too late now, but read this for next time....it will save you from unecessary worry...Just replace the word "beer" with cider, all fermentation is the same.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Ben25
Recipes 

Let the yeast drop out and drink it as apple juice...

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Chemical preservatives used in grocery-store cider, such as potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate, will not kill microflora, only stop them from reproducing. In my experience, however, you can overwhelm the chemicals by pitching lots of yeast, which you have done.

Montrachet yeast is wine yeast, and fermentations with wine yeast are generally nowhere near as excitingly dramatic as ale fermentations. You should have seen some foam by now, though.

I think y'all meant "ascorbic acid", which is an antioxidant and, IIRC, vitamin C. That's why you put lemon juice over sliced apples to keep them from going brown. It is not a microbial inhibitor.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

i meant potassium sorbate....

Jason Danaher
Drinking a non alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin...sure it taste the same but it just ain't right!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just found one of the jugs in the trash, it does contain potassium sorbate. Damn, time to start over. Any creative ideas on what to do with this botched batch?

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Quick Reply