Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cider brew!!! looking for input

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
dieselboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default cider brew!!! looking for input

So I am new to homebrewing and currently have a american pale ale it bottles that will hopefully be ready in the next few weeks. But in the meantime my fermenter sits empty and that's troublesome. I have also found the joy of modifying my first recipes to try to achieve a certain taste. So I've constructed this cider recipe from the bits and prices of other people recipes which are found in hbt cider forum. What im wondering is does my recipe make sense? Are there any glaring errors in it. What are the tastes that certain sugars.impart. I knw dme will give it a full body flavor/feeling. Im looking for a lighter note for this so I was thinkin light brown sugar.

Here is my proposed recipe for 5 gal

4.5 gal of apple cider pasturized
1lb. Crystal 10l
2oz torrified wheat
1 lb german pilsner
1-2 cups of light brown sugar

I would steep grains at 155 for 20 min. Sparge at 170 for 5 min. Then add the brown sugar to wort. Add wort to 4.5 gal of cider and stir. Take SG. Add. Apple juice.concentrate/corn sugar/brown sugar to reach desired SG. Pitch champagne yeast. Let ferment in primary until fg gets down around 1.001 or less. 3-4 weeks? Rack to secondary with. Peeled and cored apples along with 2 vanilla beans and 2 cinnamon sticks. Let sit for x amount of days before adding primer and bottling. Let it sit for another 3-4 weeks.

That's my thought process. Now here are my questions. What should my SG be? What of my 3 choices should I use to get it to reach the SG. ? How with each one of those affect the final flavor? Is 10oz of corn sugar enough to prime 5 gallons?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
dieselboy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default apple?

What would be the pro con of apple juice vs cider?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out Brandon O's "Graff" recipe and save yourself the trouble....it's already been perfected:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Check out Brandon O's "Graff" recipe and save yourself the trouble....it's already been perfected:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graf...-cider-117117/
AMEN I am bottling 2 five gallon batches tonight. my 2nd and 3rd runs of it. The only thing I changed is using a darker crystal malt because I was out of what he called for.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply