Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Christmas Ale or Ginger Beer :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
nicklepickles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers

I did not shred it. I tossed it in chopped up in small chunks.

JB
I have a feeling the ginger i used wasnt as fresh as it could have been. Also i think ive seen more brewers chopping it up like you did, rather then shredding. When i redo my recipe im definitely going to chop it up and see if it helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
I have a feeling the ginger i used wasnt as fresh as it could have been. Also i think ive seen more brewers chopping it up like you did, rather then shredding. When i redo my recipe im definitely going to chop it up and see if it helps.
Just as a general cooking tip that also applies to brewing, don't chop too long or too fine with any spice/herb. Most of the time the compound that carries the flavor or aroma of the spice/herb is an oil that you extract for them plant. If you chop too long or fine, you will just end up with all that oil in your cutting board and on your knife and none left in the plant to be extracted into your dish/brew.

Something to keep in mind,

JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Sayers' Wild Oats - Oatmeal Stout (almost gone!)

Kegged: Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew

Up Next: Maybe a Hefe

Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers

Just as a general cooking tip that also applies to brewing, don't chop too long or too fine with any spice/herb. Most of the time the compound that carries the flavor or aroma of the spice/herb is an oil that you extract for them plant. If you chop too long or fine, you will just end up with all that oil in your cutting board and on your knife and none left in the plant to be extracted into your dish/brew.

JB
Hmm, interesting. That was probably the case with me, i remember a lot of juice ending up in the grater instead of in the boil.., thanks for the tip!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers View Post

JB
If you keep your cutting board sanitiary while you are shredding/slicing, you should be able to get everything.

I shredded 5oz and scooped it off my cutting board along with all the juice and pulp onto a sanitized piece of plastic wrap, then went over and slowly dumped it down into my secondary.

My ginger beer is actually quite ginger flavored now, my previous comment isnt as true now, i think it was the first pint pulling all the yeast and crap off the bottom of the keg that was muddling the flavor..now it comes out crystal clear and there is no doubt its ginger beer.

I will say if you are going to shred it, put it in a bag dont just drop it in...i lost probably half a gallon of beer because my auto siphon kept getting clogged with all of the ginger and sucking air...

Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
If you keep your cutting board sanitiary while you are shredding/slicing, you should be able to get everything.

I shredded 5oz and scooped it off my cutting board along with all the juice and pulp onto a sanitized piece of plastic wrap, then went over and slowly dumped it down into my secondary.

My ginger beer is actually quite ginger flavored now, my previous comment isnt as true now, i think it was the first pint pulling all the yeast and crap off the bottom of the keg that was muddling the flavor..now it comes out crystal clear and there is no doubt its ginger beer.

I will say if you are going to shred it, put it in a bag dont just drop it in...i lost probably half a gallon of beer because my auto siphon kept getting clogged with all of the ginger and sucking air...
It really isn't a matter of sanitation. Wooden cutting boards will absorb some of the juice you are trying to extract. Even plastic boards, unless they are brand new, will trap the juice. I know my plastic cutting board has many grooves in it from a couple years of use. You are just best following the advice I gave before. I got that advice from a well known chef. I def notice a difference when I cook by not over slicing/chopping my herbs. YMMV.

Cheers,
JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

UPDATE

So I bought a kegging system (5gal ball lock with 10lb CO2 tank and picnic tap) and kegged the Christmas Ale (which I have named "Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew"). Of course I sampled a bit and the ginger has significantly subsided and the beer has a wonderful balance of cinnamon and ginger. The aroma has hints of both and was very pleasing.

I may not change this recipe at all the next time I brew it. I'll wait a week for it to be carbed before I make my final determination.

Hope this helps those that replied with their holiday brews!

Cheers,
JB

Quick Reply