Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Christmas Ale or Ginger Beer :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
jbsayers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Christmas Ale or Ginger Beer :-(

I just transferred a Christmas Ale over to secondary and gave it a sample. Holy ginger! I don't even taste the cinnamon, lol.

I know I used too much but I didn't think it was that much. Can I expect the ginger taste to fade over some time as it ages? Is there a possibility I just taste the ginger so strongly now because it is only a couple weeks old? Anybody with ginger experiences that could share some lessons learned?

Thanks,
JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Sayers' Wild Oats - Oatmeal Stout (almost gone!)

Kegged: Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew

Up Next: Maybe a Hefe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Yes the ginger will definitely fade with time. I noticed the same thing on a Christmas Ale I just did where there was equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon. The Ginger was very strong for the first few weeks in the keg and then after about a month in the keg it started to fade and now has a great ginger/cinnamon balance. Enjoy!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I dont have much experience with ginger, but i was wondering when and how you used the ginger? From what ive read, the earlier you put ginger in the boil, the more flavor will come through. Also, did you use fresh ginger or powdered?

Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Just curious, how much ginger did you use? When and how did you add it to the beer?

On Deck: 60 Bells IPA [11/22 brewday]
Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
jbsayers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
I dont have much experience with ginger, but i was wondering when and how you used the ginger? From what ive read, the earlier you put ginger in the boil, the more flavor will come through. Also, did you use fresh ginger or powdered?
I always use the freshest ingredients I can get. Never use powders. As for boiling time, there is a sweet spot. Too long and you can boil away flavors, not long enough and you don't extract any. See below for the answer to the rest of your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia View Post
Just curious, how much ginger did you use? When and how did you add it to the beer?
I used 1 ounce at 10 minutes left in the boil then filtered it out when I transferred it to primary. I also added 1 ounce of new ginger the to primary because I didn't notice much of a ginger taste or smell after my wort cooled. Next time I will not add the second ounce of ginger in primary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Yes the ginger will definitely fade with time. I noticed the same thing on a Christmas Ale I just did where there was equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon. The Ginger was very strong for the first few weeks in the keg and then after about a month in the keg it started to fade and now has a great ginger/cinnamon balance. Enjoy!
Gotcha. RDWHAHB, lol. Hopefully I get the same results.

Thanks for the replies, folks!
JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You should be fine, i used 10oz of grated Ginger in my Ginger beer kind of split between boil and secondary and now like 4 weeks later its already fading quite a lot in the keg.
So much so i will probably bag and throw some into the keg for a few hours before i serve it for the party its destined for.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers

I always use the freshest ingredients I can get. Never use powders. As for boiling time, there is a sweet spot. Too long and you can boil away flavors, not long enough and you don't extract any. See below for the answer to the rest of your question.

I used 1 ounce at 10 minutes left in the boil then filtered it out when I transferred it to primary. I also added 1 ounce of new ginger the to primary because I didn't notice much of a ginger taste or smell after my wort cooled. Next time I will not add the second ounce of ginger in primary.

Gotcha. RDWHAHB, lol. Hopefully I get the same results.

Thanks for the replies, folks!
JB
Thats interesting, i made a ginger pale using about 4 oz freshly grated, 2 in the boil at 10 min and 2 in after primary fermentation, and the ginger flavor didnt really come through. This was also a 2.5 gal batch. Im planning on redoing it with more ginger and maybe some lemon juice to help bring out the flavor. Im a huge ginger ale fan, so im looking for really prominent gingerness.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
jbsayers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
Thats interesting, i made a ginger pale using about 4 oz freshly grated, 2 in the boil at 10 min and 2 in after primary fermentation, and the ginger flavor didnt really come through. This was also a 2.5 gal batch. Im planning on redoing it with more ginger and maybe some lemon juice to help bring out the flavor. Im a huge ginger ale fan, so im looking for really prominent gingerness.
That's really weird. I used 2 ounces for a 5 gallon batch and I can taste nothing else.

JB

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers View Post
That's really weird. I used 2 ounces for a 5 gallon batch and I can taste nothing else.

JB
Did you shred yours as well JB?
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
jbsayers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
Did you shred yours as well JB?
I did not shred it. I tossed it in chopped up in small chunks.

JB

Quick Reply