Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Choosing a good burner...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Seanana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Choosing a good burner...

When it comes to burners which would you go with and why? I'm also thinking 15gal + batches. I want something that isn't a slouch and will get me through some great brews. Needing some help. Any ideas!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Blichmann burners kick ass... I have two, one with the longer legs, and the other stock. IMO, worth every penny. I did have a Bayou KAB4 before getting my first Blichmann burner and won't go back to that one. I've also brewed with people with the 'jet' burners. They sound like jets when you get them burning well enough to even try to come close to how the Blichmann performs. I'm typically getting more wort up to a boil than the other brewers were. I got it there faster too.

For 15 gallon batches, I would go with the Blichmann in a heartbeat.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Many people in here swear by banjo burners. I have a friend that does 40 gallons at a time with them on low pressure propane. I however only use a standard bayou classic burner (it's the sp10) for my 15 gallon pot.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Seanana
Recipes 

Someone posted something about a 110k or so BTU burner from Lowes or homedepot for 49$$$. Is that a good deal?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
rs4life
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the blichmann. It is not only quiet but it heats damn fast

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Blichmann burners kick ass... I have two, one with the longer legs, and the other stock. IMO, worth every penny. I did have a Bayou KAB4 before getting my first Blichmann burner and won't go back to that one. I've also brewed with people with the 'jet' burners. They sound like jets when you get them burning well enough to even try to come close to how the Blichmann performs. I'm typically getting more wort up to a boil than the other brewers were. I got it there faster too.

For 15 gallon batches, I would go with the Blichmann in a heartbeat.
I use the Bayou KAB4 for my 11 gallon double batches. It will easily boil my 13 gallon pre-boil volume in about 15 minutes after I put the runnings in the pot. It's also pretty efficient. I can get about four 11 gal batches from one 15lb tank and that includes heating all the mash and sparge water as well. It works out to about $2 worth of propane for every 5.5 gallon fermenter it produces...not bad really.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I'm in the market for a new burner myself, but torn on what to get.
I am leaning toward the blichmann burner, although it pisses me off to have to pay the blichmann tax just because they've put their name on it.
They do seem to be the best blend of efficiency and power though.
I wish Bayou classic still made the SP10 with a 20psi regulator. My friend has one and its a great burner for the price.

On Tap: Imperial Breakfast Stout, Mt Hood Kolsch, Fall Rye Red Ale
Secondary:
Primary: House IPA
On Deck: CDA

Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Seanana
Recipes 

Someone told me that at homedepot or lowes there is a good and cheap burner that puts out over 100k btu and is around 50? I like the Blichmann, I mean who doesn't, but it's hard to spend that money when so many others have made it work and made it work well without shelling the money. I almost feel like your just paying for a name.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's pretty short sighted to just look at the retail cost and say it is cheaper and does the job. Here's some real math from my personal experience:

My Blichmann can do about 18 five gallon batches per propane tank, while my Bayou SQ14 can do about 8.

A propane refill at WalMart cost me $16.00, so the SQ14 uses about $2.00 a batch in propane, the Blichmann uses about $0.89 a batch in propane

The Bayou SQ14 cost me $50.00. My Blichmann cost me $149.00.

SO, easy math, easy conclusion. If you are going to do LESS than 89ish batches on the burner over it's lifetime, the SQ14 is cheaper. If you are going to do MORE than 89, the Blichmann is cheaper.

This doesn't even factor in the build quality over a longer period, where the Blichmann wins hands down. I brew 30+ batches a year, so the Blichmann is a no-brainer for me. If you don't brew much, a less expensive retail cost burner may be right for you.

At around $100.00, the Banjo burner has the same efficient burner element as the Blichmann, but a housing more like the SQ14, and presents an even better value. Then, you are talking a break even point of closer to 45 batches.

I might be off a little, but overall, you really can't argue with the numbers. The more expensive, more efficient burners are a much better value for those that brew frequently.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4life View Post
I have the blichmann. It is not only quiet but it heats damn fast
EDIT: Just notice blichmann not Brinkmann. Saw turkey fryer in earlier post - IMO just enough for 5 gallon batches

I have a Brinkmann turkey fryer burner and a Bayou Classic SP10. The SP10 is at least twice as fast as the turkey fryer and I will soon be replacing the fryer burner with another SP10.

With my turkey fryer I would guess to make strike water from tap temps for a 10 gallon batch would take well over an hour.

Quick Reply