Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chocolate Stout - What kind of chocolate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The BEST is Chocolate Nibs. You can find them at your local Whole Foods or Natural food store. Most pros use Nibs. They are teh essence of Chocolate.

Most Chocolate has many other chemicals mixed in including sugar. Nibs are the real deal.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
xxdcmast
Recipes 

Use either bakers chocolate or the already mentioned cocoa powder. Whatever you use make sure it does not have any dissolved cocoa fats in it. I made that mistake and well im not sure how its gonna turn out.

Im due to bottle this weekend so hopefully everything comes out ok.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
The BEST is Chocolate Nibs. You can find them at your local Whole Foods or Natural food store. Most pros use Nibs. They are teh essence of Chocolate.

Most Chocolate has many other chemicals mixed in including sugar. Nibs are the real deal.
I thought i remembered hearing something on one of the podcasts from the brewing network about not using nibs because of the high concentration of oils they have. I thought i remembered them saying they use cocoa powder.

This is just going of what i remember, so i might be completely wrong...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would imagine that hot chocolate mix has a bunch of sugar in it as well as cocoa powder

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post

I disagree. Cocoa powder is the essence of chocolate as it is mostly cocoa solids. Cocoa nibs will work, but they have a much higher fat content. Not 100% sure of the consequences (if any) of adding that much fat to beer. Some seem to think it will impede head retention. Others seem to not have a problem. Bottom line is that I don't go dumping other types of fat into my beer, so why should I put in cocoa butter?

I'm not really trying to debunk nibs. I'm just tired of people thinking cocoa powder is an inferior product. IMO, skip the nibs and source quality fair trade powder if that is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
i would imagine that hot chocolate mix has a bunch of sugar in it as well as cocoa powder
Hot chocolate mix is usually cocoa powder, powdered milk, sugar, salt, some type of emulsifier, and an anti clumping agent.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also, in regards to the recipe posted I would cut back on the chocolate malt. I think the max recommended in a grain bill is 10%. You're almost at 25% with that recipe.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

more concern about the chocolate malt from me. That is a massive amount! A little goes a long way with chocolate malt.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
spage
Recipes 

I did a bunch of research for a chocolate stout a few months ago and discovered that many brewers have passionate opinions on what kind of chocolate to use. My conclusion - there are no right or wrong ways, just different ways. The following advice helped me immensely:

1. Higher alcohol beers need less chocolate, as alcohol aids in the flavor extraction.
2. Baker's chocolate contains additional oils, which can damage head retention.
3. Chocolate nibs in the primary may inhibit yeast activity.
4. Cocoa adds to the bittering, so extra cocoa should be accompanied by slight bittering hop reduction.
5. Cocoa beers have a harsh bite for the first month or two, then they mellow out. Other chocolates will start smoother.
6. Cocoa thins out very quickly when boiled.
7. A tiny bit of vanilla can brighten-up the beer and round out the flavor profile.
8. Cocoa powder can cause boilovers if you are not careful.

I hope this helps some. BTW, the beer was made with cocoa powder added at the end of the boil, and 2 months later it is fantastic!!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts

I think the reason Pro Brewers are against powder is that it makes a mess for them - not so much for us small guys. I used powder and was unimpressed with the results - thus I'm purchased nibs for my next try.

as spage says - lots of opinions with Chocolate. I have even heard there have been GREAT results with using the Cocoa shells you buy for mulch. They DO smell awesome and it's aroma you are looking for.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #20
macabra11
Recipes 

I made a chocolate coffee stout before Christmas and used 4 oz. of Ghiradelli unsweetened bakers chocolate. I added it during the last 10 mins of the boil. It made a really nice balance with the Sumatran coffee that was in it.

- macabra11
B - double E - double R - U - N

Quick Reply