Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chocolate Scortch Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Talsma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Scortch Ale

Soo with 24 hours l, my plastic carboy blew its stopper and spewed beer and yeast cake all over my laundry room. It was set up with an over flow kit with the stopper pressed down tight..not sure how it could blow..any opinions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Desvio
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Buggars are pretty amazing aren't they!

The wheat I just brewed last night turned into a foam mountain this morning, I have brewed this many times, pitched at about 65* and all I can say is I noticed my Wyeast-1010 was a bit more aggressive than I have seen before, and I my new funnel really aerated the wort a lot easier than I expected.

"The next best thing to drinking good beer is wearing it" -me

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Talsma
Recipes 

Well this was more than just a run off..so much pressure built up that I hit my ceiling as well. And that was the most dense spot. Did it just get too warm? I never would have imagined that much pressure could build up with a blow off valve set up.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Chattan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I started brewing I would put my carboy in the shower (fermentation shower). They would heat up and produce a really violent fermentation because of the higher internal temperatures. I used a 1" blow off tube into a mason jar and when I noticed the heat rising I would pack the carboy with ice packs.

Now I use a keezer as my fermentation chamber and don't have any issues with blow overs because the temperature of the fermenting wort is held at a constant temperature. The lower temperatures really slow the yeast fermentation process. Haven't had a blow off since I started with the keezer.

Cheers,

Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Desvio
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talsma View Post
Well this was more than just a run off..so much pressure built up that I hit my ceiling as well. And that was the most dense spot. Did it just get too warm? I never would have imagined that much pressure could build up with a blow off valve set up.
At least for the first day or two I just lightly set it in, that way it doesn't geyser on me. But building a blow-off vessel that won't allow siphon back is definitely on my list, pretty sure I've been surviving on luck so far.

"The next best thing to drinking good beer is wearing it" -me

Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Talsma
Recipes 

These are the before a s after pics

image-3023972488.jpg   image-2757336012.jpg   image-1869131946.jpg  

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ouch! I usually tape the better bottle blow off setup I have down for the first few days when the fermentation goes insane. After that im not worried, but you never know, I'm just more on the safe side

Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Talsma
Recipes 

That's a good tip! Thanks for the suggestion. I think the blow off tube got clogged or something, it being only a 1/4 in tube

Quick Reply