New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > chocolate nibs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #31
dennisowens41
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
I used some recently with a mead, found that 1 they float, 2 wished I'd ground them (I've since bought a morter and pestel) and used about 2oz, maybe 1.75oz for my 1 gallon of mead.
+1 on the floating/grinding--i bought a handheld coffee grinder Im gonna pulverize it with next go round

How'd the mead turn out? I have 15# of honey a friend sent me from Hawaii to make mead with....never thought about using nibs.

"Well ya see, Norm...Excessive intake of alcohol... kills brain cells...it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first...regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." (Cliff Calvin)

www.aleraisers.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #32
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisowens41 View Post
+1 on the floating/grinding--i bought a handheld coffee grinder Im gonna pulverize it with next go round

How'd the mead turn out? I have 15# of honey a friend sent me from Hawaii to make mead with....never thought about using nibs.

I didn't think of the power grinder as an option :/

I took 5 gallons of mead, racked about 3.5 on to different flavors (3 1 gall, 1 3L making different batches of the main to see what I like to scale to 5 gal. -here's a link to my original thread on this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/mead-reciepe-s-help-221393/ ) and bottled the rest about 2 weeks ago.

That is when I put 2 oz of nibs in with some vanilla and mead. They didn't look like they were disolving so I fished them out and ground them with a spoon (ugh)... which is a long way to say - I've got no idea how it tastes yet !

I took the midwest receipe for meed (1 gall/12lb honey +4 gal water=5gal must) and then added the wyeast sweet mead yeast.. I have an alcohol of about 10-11 with a ob of about 1.080 and an fg I think as 1...
From what I've read on here and elsewhere, depending on your yeast, nutrient, etc about 2 to 3.5lb of honey /gal of mead... this will get you something between a dry mead and a sweet again depending on yeast.

My only question about that is what does the honey taste like?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Bumping this thread as it seems relevant.

How much would I need to flavor 5 gallons of stout? The guy at the LHBS said I only need 1/4 oz, but it seems like everyone is using 4+ oz.

Primary #1: Samsquanch RIS
Primary #2: Nuclear Hippo
On Deck: ???
On Tap: SWMBO's Cranberry Raspberry Cider, 1880, The Gentleman, Falconer's Flight SMaSH, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH

Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap
Bumping this thread as it seems relevant.

How much would I need to flavor 5 gallons of stout? The guy at the LHBS said I only need 1/4 oz, but it seems like everyone is using 4+ oz.
No way 1/4 oz will get you there...maybe the guy meant 1/4 lb? I'd say you'll want 4-8 oz...probably closer to 8

Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #35
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
No way 1/4 oz will get you there...maybe the guy meant 1/4 lb? I'd say you'll want 4-8 oz...probably closer to 8
That's what I thought based on what I've read here. I went by the LHBS again today and made sure what they recommended was 1/4 oz. They confirmed that 1/4 oz is what I should use, and that 4 oz would be like chocolate milk.

Primary #1: Samsquanch RIS
Primary #2: Nuclear Hippo
On Deck: ???
On Tap: SWMBO's Cranberry Raspberry Cider, 1880, The Gentleman, Falconer's Flight SMaSH, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH

Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #36
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
That's what I thought based on what I've read here. I went by the LHBS again today and made sure what they recommended was 1/4 oz. They confirmed that 1/4 oz is what I should use, and that 4 oz would be like chocolate milk.
I always hate to second guess someone's LHBS, but in this instance I'm going to say that the guy you talked to has never used cocoa nibs. I have never heard of anyone using only a 1/4 oz.

My Beer Cellar
absynthe Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #37
baron
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just brewed an Oatmeal Stout last week -- added 1/4oz of spearmint leaves and lactose to boil and adding cocoa nibs this weekend when I transfer to secondary (Mint Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Stout). Haven't decided how much nibs to add, but thinking 8oz.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
joeyspit
Recipes 

Brewed a Belgian chocolate stout not too long ago and boiled 4 oz for 10 minutes then dry-nibbed with 4 oz and got a nice cocao aroma and a bit of flavor as well. Nothing too overpowering but just enough to notice and add some complexity to the brew.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Newb question. Do nibs or cocoa powder add any fermentable sugar. If so, how do you account for it if added in fermenter?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #40
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1kebeer
Newb question. Do nibs or cocoa powder add any fermentable sugar. If so, how do you account for it if added in fermenter?
Neither add any sugars...unless you use sweetened cocoa powder, which I wouldn't use. If you did, you could probably use the grams of sugar per seeing listed on the nutrition label to calculate a rough estimate of gravity points.

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply