Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > chocolate nibs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #21
dennisowens41
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I went ahead with my brew using 4oz nibs during the boil, and added 4oz that I soaked in rum to the fermenter(10g batch volume). Ive done this same beer before using only chocolate malts, but wanted to try and add a subtle hint of actual cocoa. Ill report back around thanksgiving.

"Well ya see, Norm...Excessive intake of alcohol... kills brain cells...it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first...regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." (Cliff Calvin)

www.aleraisers.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
middlenamebeer
Recipes 

I went ahead with the advice my LHBS gave me. Boiled 4oz of nibs in 16oz of water for 5 minutes and added the entire mixture to my secondary. My results were terrific! Hands down the best Stout I have made! The chocolate flavor and aroma are perfectly balanced, my buddies keep hounding me for more.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

I made an amazing chocolate stout with nibs from a local artisinal chocolatier. 8 oz for 2 weeks added to secondary. It is seriously awesome, and almost had a chocolate covered espresso bean character.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlenamebeer View Post
I went ahead with the advice my LHBS gave me. Boiled 4oz of nibs in 16oz of water for 5 minutes and added the entire mixture to my secondary. My results were terrific! Hands down the best Stout I have made! The chocolate flavor and aroma are perfectly balanced, my buddies keep hounding me for more.
how long did you keep it in secondary?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisowens41 View Post
I went ahead with my brew using 4oz nibs during the boil, and added 4oz that I soaked in rum to the fermenter(10g batch volume). Ive done this same beer before using only chocolate malts, but wanted to try and add a subtle hint of actual cocoa. Ill report back around thanksgiving.
How did this turn out?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
dennisowens41
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha0056 View Post
How did this turn out?
It turned out well. The cocoa flavors you get from nibs are quite subtle, but its definitely more "chocolatey" then the roasty, coffee flavors you get using darker/chocolate malts. As I used them, I probably could have double the amount of nibs I used and still wouldnt have gone much past subtle in my porter. Next time I use them, I think Ill do some sort of grinding or pulverizing, to increase exposure in my wort.

"Well ya see, Norm...Excessive intake of alcohol... kills brain cells...it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first...regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." (Cliff Calvin)

www.aleraisers.com

Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am planning an imperial stout soon - thinking half with bourbon / coffee / oak and the other half with raspberry puree and cocoa nibs. I have previously made the bourbon / coffee / oak imperial stout and it is fantastic, but was thinking 6 lb raspberry (puree) and 4 oz cocoa nibs in the secondary for 4 weeks. I may consider increasing this to 8 oz cocoa nibs based on your results, dennisowens41

Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
dennisowens41
Recipes 

My sugestion would be to take an oz of nibs and boil them in a gallon of water(or gallon of water and some dme) and taste. It really is quite subtle. I have a feeling that under the weight of 6#s of raspberry puree you'd be safe betting that 8oz would not be overpowering.

www.aleraisers.com

Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #29
sha0056
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will use 8 oz for this batch and modify if needed next time around. with the darker malts giving some chocolate character hopefully this will be enough

Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used some recently with a mead, found that 1 they float, 2 wished I'd ground them (I've since bought a morter and pestel) and used about 2oz, maybe 1.75oz for my 1 gallon of mead.

Quick Reply