Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chocolate Imperial Stout question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
irishfanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Imperial Stout question

I've been a lurker here for quite some time and finally got started brewing myself a couple months ago with the Mr Beer kit.

After reading a ton of info on this site, I went directly from the Mr Beer kit to an all grain with my second brew. (an Irish Red Ale)

My third batch, just done today, is a chocolate stout that I pieced together from a couple of different recipes that I saw. I was hoping to get a critique and see how you all thought this might turn out.

4.5lbs 2-Row
1.5lbs American Chocolate
.75lbs Crystal 120
.25lbs Flaked Barley

Mashed at 157*

.4oz Norther Brewer at 60 minutes
.5 tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes

I also removed a half cup of wort with 5 minutes left in the boil. I added 1.5c of brown sugar, 1.5c table sugar and 4oz cocoa powder to make a syrup , brought it to a boil and added back to the wort at flameout.

Pitched with wyeast European Ale 1338

What do you think? Does this look like it might be a decent brew?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How many gallons is this for? Without beersmith infront of me looks like a really weak beer from the grain bill

Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
irishfanatic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
How many gallons is this for? Without beersmith infront of me looks like a really weak beer from the grain bill
Yeah that might have helped. I'm still doing 2.5 gallon batches in the Mr. Beer fermentor.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

My estimation is that you will have a difficult time getting the finishing gravity down below 1.026 or so. That grain bill has a lot of unfermentable sugars in it from the chocolate malt and crystal 120. I would have probably mashed that at 150° instead of 157°. My first experience with brewing a big imperial stout was similar to what you are doing here. I wanted a heavier body on the beer and I mashed at 158°. I wasn't thinking clearly when I did that with all the highly kilned malts and had a very difficult time getting the finishing gravity down to a reasonable point. With that much unfermentable sugar, the lower mashing temp will help with that.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
irishfanatic
Recipes 

The higher temp was actually done on purpose. I was hoping to retain some unfermentables to add some residual sweetness. I know its not in style, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I haven't looked at gravities just yet as I don't even have a hydrometere yet. I wanted to try my hand at an all grain to see what was possible before investing in a complete kit. At this point I'll take tasty.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

tasty is always a good goal.

Quick Reply