Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chlorophenols - Conditioning?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
j1mms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chlorophenols - Conditioning?

Hi all - first post!! first two brews in bottles - one ale, one lager,

my ale has been conditioning for 3 weeks - cracked her open but im pretty sure my straight tap water has created chlorophenols and my beer has a nasty aftertaste!!

What do i do?? after lots of searching i cant find anyone saying this has improved with age - will it condition out or shall i dump and start over - this time using campden

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Chlorophenols won't condition out and they have very low taste thresholds.. But since it's hosed, why not try using some campden in the beer? Might work, might not.

On the other hand, maybe it's something else that will condition out.

So, give it a few more weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm always hesitant to suggest new brewer's "self diagnose" an off flavor based on what they read...rather I suggest they find an experienced brewer, preferably someone who went through an "off flavors" bjcp type course.

Some new brewers can't distinguish a bad flavor from simply a green flavor...It's all great to read something in a book, but about 99% of the self diagnoses turn out to be wrong on here....and usually fade with time.

Often a seemingly off or bad batch can often magically improve with time. So read the stories in here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
j1mms
Recipes 

ok thanks guys, im going to pick up some campden tomorrow and set off my third brew ( wherry ) So in a month i can compare. Lets hope im just a little too eager and it'll come good !

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Don't add anything to the beer until you've given it a few more weeks.

If it ain't broke and you are noobishly self mis diagnosing you beer (which happens more than you probably realize) why don't you just sit on the beer??? Go read the don't dump thread, none of those beers people wrote about did they add anything to...

I'll say it again...more than likely the only thing that is wrong is that it is green!!!!!! Just wait it out...don't f-with it...don't add campden tablets...Just add patience.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
j1mms
Recipes 

Just add patience - love it

ive read loads - but cant find anyone saying about chlorophenols improving with age. But like you say that may not even be the problem!

Sure thats the plan then - i'll leave it another three full weeks.

In the meantime - get another batch on with campden this time.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1mms View Post
Just add patience - love it

ive read loads - but cant find anyone saying about chlorophenols improving with age. But like you say that may not even be the problem!

Sure thats the plan then - i'll leave it another three full weeks.

In the meantime - get another batch on with campden this time.
This isn't making coolaid, it IS a patience game...And the reward is incredible.

I don't believe you have chlorophenols...I believe you THINK you have chlorophenols...there's a BIG difference in that.....Like I said, if you read around here long enough, more new brewers MISDIAGNOSE GREEN BEER as any number of things they read in books... AND USUALLY in a few weeks the issue is long gone....People have called their beer all number of things they have read in books, Having Diactly, infected, yadda yadda yadda.....and came back later and said they were wrong and the beer is fine....That's why we suggest to wait it out...and as to it being 3 weeks? It's not a magic number...it could be months...ir it could be 5 weeks...when you deal with living organisms, you deal with THEIR agendas...

You may truly have what you think you do...but unless you let the beer sit and see if it doesn't dissipate, you won't truly know...that why we suggest brewers not mess with a batch for several weeks...to see if it passes a window of greeness....the trouble is the window's timeframe is it's not set in stone?

Did you read the stories in the never dump your beer thread??? The value of patinece and the tendency to misdiagnoses is proven over and over again in there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARYLARRY View Post
+1 naw +100 Yeah thanks guys. I followed everyone's advice on waiting to drink that first beer and man I'm glad I did. Cracked my 1st home brew this weekend while bottling a3rd batch and making one one. Primary 2 weeks secondary 2 weeks and 2 weeks in the bottle, man that was hell waiting that long. But during that time I increased my bottle collection too were I can have 3-4 batches bottled.

Quick Reply