New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chlorine for sanitation: any input on this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Scooby_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have been brewing for about 11 years now and for the first 8-9 years I used bleach for sanitizing with fantastic resolutes. I used to add a cup of bleach to a 5 gal of water for sanitizing and I had a bucket of clean water for rinsing right next to it. I never had an infection in my beer, not even once.
The only drawback was all the bleach-stained jeans and t-shirts

I use StarSan now and I like the no-rinse part, but I'm not so convinced about it's sanitizing power, since I see a ton of posts on this forum from young brewers crying their eyes out about an infected beer. They all seem to use one of the "no-rinse" sanitizers.

One of the reasons I used bleach for so many years is that I remember watching the Discovery Channel years ago and they had a program about doctors and nurses fighting the Ebola disease and other killer diseases in Africa. Guess what those doctors used for disinfecting their Hazmat suites when exiting a hospital full of Ebola infected patients? You guessed it, they used bleach water to save them from the most infectious Ebola disease on Earth. Just some food for thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
The only drawback was all the bleach-stained jeans and t-shirts

Guess what those doctors used for disinfecting their Hazmat suites when exiting a hospital with Ebola infected patients? You guessed it, they used bleach water to save them from the most infectious Ebola disease on Earth. Just some food for thought.
Well said. About the jeans and t-shirts... I keep separate clothes specifically for brewing related activities.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 940

FWIW there may be a lot of threads crying out about infected beer, but I haven't seen many that were actually infected.

And I don't think anyone is arguing about bleach's killing power if mixed properly. But I doubt the scientists had to worry about rinsing with clean water to avoid off flavors...

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #24
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Yeah, I hear when they licked their hazmat suits, it tasted like....

Band Aids...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

In my experiences here,most just didn't know what a normal fermentation looks like with different yeasts from one batch to another. Especially with carboys/better bottles. And the few that did get infected was due to operator error. Anytime anything touches the beer,it must be sanitized 1st with a sanitizer of the proper dilution. That's simple chemistry that should always work if used correctly.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #26
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
There's only one place in town where I live that carries Star-San, and they are 30 minutes each way, and not opened on Sundays when I brew... So... Bleach it is.

I had to brew in my messy garage yesterday, with oil stains, cob webs, etc etc etc. We'll see how the 2 batches turn out, while using bleach as my sanitizer (as usual).

Yes, that's oil, dirt and grease on the stand where the mash tun is.

M_C
Next time you are near there puck up a big jug of it. I bought maybe a half gallons worth about 8 years ago and still have over half of it left. it lasts a long time.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerinBR View Post
I use a mixture of 5 gallons of water with 2 ounces of bleach and 2 ounces of vinegar.
+! on the bleach plus vinegar. The vinegar lowers the ph of the water and makes the bleach work much better. 15 minute soak is probably overkill, but better to be safe, I skip the rinse — just drain dry.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
made-in-america
Recipes 

Default Bleach for Sanitation

Ok...here goes...I've been brewing for 3 years now...Have always used bleach for sanitation...usually a lot higher dose (around 1 cup to 3 gallons hot water). Always rinse everything thoroughly with my tap water (had tested for bacteria and got negative results...no bacteria)....Never had a problem with off taste, off smell...Gotta admit, the only problem I've ever had was when I screwed up and put to much priming sugar in a batch and lost all the bottles when they exploded...Maybe I'm lucky here but can't blame that error on bleach...80 gallons and still brewing

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpk View Post
+! on the bleach plus vinegar. The vinegar lowers the ph of the water and makes the bleach work much better. 15 minute soak is probably overkill, but better to be safe, I skip the rinse — just drain dry.
OK, before you start mixing acids and bases togeather lets think about this, a little bit of basic chemistry: Acids are acids because they donate Hydrogen protons, (H) . Bases are bases because they take on or bind with hydrogen protons. Hydroxides such as (OH) readily combine with excess hydrogen protons to yield (H2O) water. If you mix acids and bases togeather on a one to one molar ratio you will achieve a solution of pure water. Interestingly, pure water with a pH of 7 has both acid and base properties H2O(Kw)=[H3O][OH] = 1x10 to the negative 14th power. That is the concentration hydronium ions to hydroxide ions are equal.
Anyway, acids taste sour and bases taste bitter. You can kill bacteria with either an acid (low pH) or a base (high pH) but if you neutralize your solution before you start, you may as well just use plain water...

Last edited by RavenChief; 08-16-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo spelling

Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
seabass07

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 61

That's why you put them into the water separately. Bleaches sanitizing power is not from it's ph, it's from the chlorine. When you lower the ph of bleach, it is more effective as a sanitizer.

Quick Reply