Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chlorine for sanitation: any input on this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I used bleach solution and c-brite my first couple batches (but I rinsed thoroughly after use). it worked fine, and I'm sure it would have kept working fine, but it was also a pain. I bought Star San, and use it in a spray bottle. It's much quicker and easier.

I'm really cheap, and I try to save money whenever I can, but Star San was a no brainer after a couple brew sessions without it.

As for not rinsing bleach, everything I've read suggests that's not a good idea. The *only* thing I read that suggests otherwise is that podcast people keep referring to, which explains how to make a no-rinse sanitizer from bleach, vinegar, and water (in a very specific order and concentration, otherwise it can be dangerous).

Chlorine in your brew has the potential of creating off-flavors, which is why most people won't use it at all, and if they do, rinse it off. But again, if what you're doing is working for you, then keep on keeping on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Bleach is safe and effective, but must be rinsed, unless, of course, you enjoy beer that tastes like bandaids. Chlorine and chloramines will make a distinct taste in the final product.

What works for you is fine - carry on....

(star san user, but not on the payroll)

Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
chazzman
Recipes 

I sanaitize with bleach then "rinse" in water with one or two campden tablets to
neutralize the bleach and campden also weighs in on bacteria for kind of a "one
two punch". If you would like to "one step" sanutize, I think campden would be
a better way to go unles you are allergic. Chlorine has been reported to give some
finished beers a BandAid flavor or smell.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used bleach for a while until I found Star-San. I would never go back to bleach.

Star-San is cheap, easy to use, fool proof (pretty much), no-rinse, no fuss.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I periodically bleach bomb my plastics with acidified bleach, but I always rinse the hell out of it. There are too many accounts of off flavors from just the small amounts of clorides in tap water. I'd rather not risk it when starsan is very cheap when you use it in a spray bottle.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I use a mixture of 5 gallons of water with 2 ounces of bleach and 2 ounces of vinegar. I soak everything to be sanitized for 20 minutes minimum. I rinse everything with boiled and or boiling water (bottles I sanitize then boil... ok ok so I am a little anal). I have a well and I am sure the water is safe and clean and perfect (yes it has been tested multiple times) but still it's my beer so I want no issues with chlorine & vinegar off flavors or with unwanted bugs from tap water. So far no problems or issues and no off flavors. I wash all equipment with oxyclean after I use it and before I use it (like I said I am very anal about my cleaning --- yes I have a clean desk and neat and tidy work shop --- so ok I have a sick mind...) it is all about making great beer so it is worth it.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

There's only one place in town where I live that carries Star-San, and they are 30 minutes each way, and not opened on Sundays when I brew... So... Bleach it is.

I had to brew in my messy garage yesterday, with oil stains, cob webs, etc etc etc. We'll see how the 2 batches turn out, while using bleach as my sanitizer (as usual).

Yes, that's oil, dirt and grease on the stand where the mash tun is.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2032 Times on 1461 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
There's only one place in town where I live that carries Star-San, and they are 30 minutes each way, and not opened on Sundays when I brew... So... Bleach it is.

I had to brew in my messy garage yesterday, with oil stains, cob webs, etc etc etc. We'll see how the 2 batches turn out, while using bleach as my sanitizer (as usual).

Yes, that's oil, dirt and grease on the stand where the mash tun is.

M_C
My LHBS is an hour and a half away. I mix a couple of quarts of Starsan in distilled water and it lasts months if not years, and I haven't been very careful about how I use it until recently. It's so much quicker than bleach and rinsing that I just don't understand why people prefer bleach over it.

Just spritz with a spray bottle and let sit 30 seconds. Drip excess and use whatever it is you sanitized.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
BrewinBigD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

well i guess this week's brew will be star san clean. , you guys got me all nervous about drinking bandaids in the fututre if i ever eff up the ratio. thanks to all for the input!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd recommend to not use bleach (because there are easier ways, but I've used it and it works.
Some of the ways I've used it (I don't know if I'd recommend them, but they worked for me):
I keep a spray bottle of 1:10 beach/water (for many house hold uses). A mist of this will quickly sanitize anything (if you get it in your eye you will go blind). A soak in this will sterilize things.
When I use the strong concentration bleach I do a light rinse with hot tap water. The idea is to dilute the bleach water that is on it to a lower level, but still high enough to keep the water sanitized.

You can do further rinsing with boiled water, but that's a PITA.

Then air or oven dry. Sniff test before using anything, if it still smells like a swimming pool don't use it.

When using lower concentrations I did not rinse, and usually oven dried. Once bottles get warm in the oven shake them out. You'll be able to get more of the liquid out of them at higher temps (water viscosity; blah blah blah...)

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Quick Reply