New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > chlorine for cleaning?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
andysat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
Default chlorine for cleaning?

hi everyone
I didn't brew over winter and am starting in the first week of spring (september). I left my fermenter outside with water in it for the kids to muck around with. Algae settled on the bottom and bugs and things. Can I clean it with a swimmingpool chlorine tablet and filled with water and left for 10-15 days?,or will that leave a residual taste?
thanks for the advice
andy.



__________________
andysat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlindLemonLars's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,445
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysat
hi everyone
I didn't brew over winter and am starting in the first week of spring (september). I left my fermenter outside with water in it for the kids to muck around with. Algae settled on the bottom and bugs and things. Can I clean it with a swimmingpool chlorine tablet and filled with water and left for 10-15 days?,or will that leave a residual taste?
thanks for the advice
andy.
Hey there Andy. Honestly, I think a swimming pool tri-chlor tablet would be serious overkill, and perhaps damaging to your fermenter. You didn't mention what kind of fermenter you have (plastic bucket, carboy, better bottle, etc.) but I know those tablets are VERY strong, and can be damaging to plastic.

Just wash it out very thoroughly. If it's plastic, be sure not to use a stiff brush or cleaning pad that may scratch it. If there is any residual odor, soak it awhile in water with a splash of bleach. If you still have any doubts about it, remember that ale pails are pretty cheap.


__________________
BlindLemonLars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Thalon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Thalon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis Park, MN
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
If you still have any doubts about it, remember that ale pails are pretty cheap.
I'm not so sure ale pails would be cheap for Andy. First week of spring = September tells me he's in the southern hemisphere. I can only imagine how far the nearest LHBS is and how much shipping would be from AHS or MoreBeer!
__________________
Thalon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
King of the Swill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 125
Default

Use a few ounces of regular laundry bleach (chlorine) with water and let soak in bucket for a few days. Don't use any scrub pads to clean with as they may scratch the plastic and then you will have hiding spots for bacteria. Use an old shirt or towel to wipe it clean.

__________________
King of the Swill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
spiderman6969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10
Default

I just brewed my first beer and when i cleaned everything i used 2 oz of bleach and when i was ready to pour the wart into the bucket i didnt rinse off the bucket or dry it off after i tossed the bleach water. Will that effect my beer at all or give it a bleach aftertaste?

__________________
spiderman6969 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
mdd134
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wilson, Oklahoma
Posts: 67
Default

It should not give it an off flavor, but it could kill the yeast. If the yeast started it should be fine.

__________________
mdd134 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
spiderman6969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdd134
It should not give it an off flavor, but it could kill the yeast. If the yeast started it should be fine.
So for my next batch should i dry it off with paper towels or give a quick rinse with tap water?
__________________
spiderman6969 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerthoven's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 2,172
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

You may get some off flavors by not rinsing your bucket after sanitizing with bleach. From John Palmer's How To Brew (howtobrew.com)

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

After rinsing, you are probably safer air-drying than wiping down with paper towel.

__________________

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Beerthoven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
spiderman6969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brloomis
You may get some off flavors by not rinsing your bucket after sanitizing with bleach. From John Palmer's How To Brew (howtobrew.com)

"Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors."

After rinsing, you are probably safer air-drying than wiping down with paper towel.
So i may get some off flavors but otherwise it is safe for me to drink?
__________________
spiderman6969 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beerthoven's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 2,172
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman6969
So i may get some off flavors but otherwise it is safe for me to drink?
Yes, it will be safe to drink.


__________________

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Beerthoven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chlorine - how much is too much? JLem Brew Science 5 10-06-2009 02:09 PM
Measuring Chlorine Sudz General Techniques 4 05-22-2009 04:02 PM
Chlorine in water? Patton191 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-01-2009 12:51 AM
Chlorine and H2O RedOctober Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-24-2008 01:42 PM
Removing Chlorine Vorsicht709 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-06-2008 02:25 PM