Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > chloramide causing problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default chloramide causing problems?

I have done two extract batches over the last month and both finished about .04-6 points high. At first I blamed temperature then yeast then my process etc. But I know 100% not to sound cocky but it's not my process and the yeast may be the problem but i don't think so. I contacted my lhbs and they have know about these last 2 batch issues and finally suggested maybe it's either chlorine or chloromide that are causing the issue with it not finishing as low as it should have. something about gasses not pushing out or something. does this make sense and has anyone else had these issues due to chlorine / chloromides ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

p.s.
There is no taste issue involved the beer tastes a little "sweet" for style but most definatlly drinkable.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
camus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What water are you using?

If you are doing extract my first guess is your water volumes may be off, are you using steeping grains? How are your temps for fermentation, this would affect attenuation.

If you using treated city water with chlorine or chlorimine you should be doing something to get rid of it. Boiling, camden tablets, something depending on what is in your water.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
What water are you using?

If you are doing extract my first guess is your water volumes may be off, are you using steeping grains? How are your temps for fermentation, this would affect attenuation.

If you using treated city water with chlorine or chlorimine you should be doing something to get rid of it. Boiling, camden tablets, something depending on what is in your water.
I'm using tap water and admitedlly yes I was at about 5.25 for a 5 gallon batch. I am using steeping grains the last batch was crystal and roasted barley for a stout. My OG at 60 deg was 1.043 and I pitched at 75 degrees and fermented at 68-70 degrees for 14 days in primary. I did do a partial boil about 3 gallons to remove chlorine but I did add the appx 2 gallons straight from tap to topp off which I'm sure did have a amt of chlorine. But as I said there is no taste issue it's only a issue with FG.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never heard of chloromides causing attenuation problems. Can't really think of a reason why it they would either. Are you aerating your wort? If not, this would cause some attenuation issues.

Also, some extracts are less fermentable than others. Are you beers finishing around 1.020? If so, this is a common extract issue.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I've never heard of chloromides causing attenuation problems. Can't really think of a reason why it they would either. Are you aerating your wort? If not, this would cause some attenuation issues.

Also, some extracts are less fermentable than others. Are you beers finishing around 1.020? If so, this is a common extract issue.
Yes my first finished at about 1.018 it was a IPA should have finished closer to 1.014 and my stout finished at 1.016 and should have been at about 1.010-.012.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Yes my first finished at about 1.018 it was a IPA should have finished closer to 1.014 and my stout finished at 1.016 and should have been at about 1.010-.012.
Those sound like perfectly fine FGs - especially with extract. I wouldn't worry about anything. Also...not sure that I would want a stout to finish at 1.010...1.016 sounds perfect.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

What's chloramide? Is that the same thing as chloramines?

Chlorine and chloramides in the brewing water don't affect the SG. What they do is make the beer taste bad- like plastic or band-aids (chlorophenols).

If your beers are not finishing, that is staying at 1.020 or above, it's probably recipe related or yeast related. That is usually using too many specialty grains like crystal malt or not pitching enough yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, not making a starter and not aerating the wort would do it.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Looks good to me. Most people seem concerned at 1.02 and even thats a common finish for a stout. I would have gave it 3 weeks but im shure its finished.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
Oh, that's different. You're not high at all on FG. Whoever told you that your stout should have finished at 1.010 was wrong- a FG of 1.016 is fine. In fact, my oatmeal stout finishes at 1.018-1.020 because only a dry stout should finish dry!

Quick Reply