New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chimay Fermentation Delay????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
lxa4christ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chimay Fermentation Delay????

Yesterday I brewed 3 AHS kits: a belgian white, a double chocolate stout, and a chimay blue clone. I used starters for all three and all of them were using LME. The belgian white went into fermentation at 1200, the dc stout at 1500 and the chimay at 1800. As of 2200 tonight, the first two are bubbling away but the Chimay I have nothing. I even slightly opened the lid and saw no bubbles to speak of on the top of the wort. This is surprising to me, as I used 2 vials of white lab yeast for this batch (per the recipe). I would have expected that it would be the most active of the 3. Is this normal with the OG being 1.085 on this batch compared to 1.040-1.050 for the other 2? Or is there an issue here?

I am going to check again in the morning but it just doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first go round with homebrewing.

Trey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Wow - first go round and you did three brews? Talk about jumping into the deep end!

As to your question, leave the beer alone, relax, and check out some of the stickies in the newbies area. There's one in particular that points out that fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show visible signs of activity. Your beer is just fine.

You may wonder why this beer seems to be starting up slower... Well, every beer, and every yeast for that matter, is different. I doubt you pitched the same yeast to all three beers; some yeast lag more than others. A lot of other factors come into play that could also explain the extra lag - but it's not unusual, and 99.9% of the time it's not a problem either!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

You'll be just fine and starts summed it up great.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Every yeast is different, every brew is different, and you're dealing with living micro-organisms, they have their own agenda and timeframe. Just because they act in a way different from each other, and from what you think they should be, doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I brew Belgians more than any other beer, with lots of Chimay types included. None of them act the same although they still end up tasting the same over time.

This hobby demands patience...Belgians just demand more. Good luck.

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 60

High gravs sometimes take a little longer on the start ups, +1 with Revvy as well

Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
lxa4christ
Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies!! The airlock is actually bubbling this morning albeit very slowly. I will continue to be patient :-)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
PoorBoy
All Around Nice Guy

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I brewed up my Chimay Blue clone, I didn't have anything for a full day. Some helpful person informed me that as big as my beer was, my yeast was probably just forming a plan of attack. I'm glad they took their time with it. it came out amazing.

Old Goat Brewing

Annapolis Homebrew Club

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Don't worry its not infected.