The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chilling and pitching a lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Cos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chilling and pitching a lager

I cooled down my wort to 72 deg. pitched the yeast and put the whole thing in the frig and set at 55.

8 hours later it's at 62.

What is the recommended procedure for chilling a lager from the boiling pot to 55?
Should I pitch the yeast at room temp before it goes into the frig or cool the mix down to 55 then pitch?

I read that a 12 degree temp change in 1 day can shock the yeast.
I'm using a dry lager yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You really have to use ice. You didn't mention what kind of chiller you have but there's always a way to use icewater as your coolant. You can use gravity or a small pond pump. I like to get my lagers down to at least 65F before I pitch but even then, it goes right into the lager fridge at 53F. The last time I did a lager, I got it down to 58 before pitching and it took a good 36 hours to really take off.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

So far, I've pitched at room temperature and waited until fermentation starts before cooling. I put the fermenter in the cooler and let it drop. Haven't timed it, but haven't had a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply