Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > chill haze has improved my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
axp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default chill haze has improved my beer

Hi all.

I brewed a Hoegaarden clone and all seemed to go well.

I was slightly under on the estimated OG, but I put this down to me not cooking the flaked oats and flaked wheat in the recipe before I placed them in the mash with the pale malt and malted wheat. I mashed at 154F for 90 mins single infusion, no protein rest or mash out.

(I did hear some reports saying that flaked wheat/oats should be cooked before placing in the mash and some saying that they didn't need to be cooked. That is a different topic though)

Anyway, after fermenting in primary for 1 week and then racking to secondary for 3 weeks my beer was bottled and conditioned for a further 4 weeks.

After testing a few I have noticed something strange. When the beer is at room temp it is crystal clear. This is NOT something I want for a witbier. I did not use Irish moss or Whirlfloc in the boil either. When it has been chilled for a few hours it becomes cloudy, and much more to the visible style of a witbier. This is a good thing in my opinion. I have not experienced this with any other beers I have brewed. (Though this is the first time I have included oats or wheat in any recipe.)

I am wondering why my witbier is not cloudy at room temp like it should be. Have others found this? Can I improve my technique somewhere to achieve a better result?

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish - Walter Sobchak

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

what yeast did you use?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
axp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used WLP400. I believe thats supposed to be Hoegaarden yeast. It is also a low floctuating yeast so I would have expected it to stay in suspension and cloud up the beer

You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish - Walter Sobchak

Quick Reply