Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chicago Newb Seeks Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lethargic (or do you prefer Walrus?),

You need to be a brewing-level member, which currently includes Trial Members (during the trial period, obviously), Apprentices, and Brewers. There's no class fee (you need to buy the ingredients, a grain bag, and a fermenter/lid, though!), just the membership fee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Also, as somebody else in the thread mentioned, homebrewers LOVE to talk shop. I doubt very much you'd be a burden to any homebrewer you talked to about getting started.

Hope you can make it to the class!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 208

You should have some kind of pot to boil 4gallons of water, that at least a 5 gallon pot and you need a ferementer. Stop by a LHBS and buy a brewers best ingredients kit (any ingredients kit). There now you can brew!!! Watch some youtube before you start and do what the kit tells you.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I paid $20 bucks for an all-grain class from a local brewer that I found out about from a friend. I was an extract brewer at the time and after watching him brew one ag batch of beer I saw just how easy the transition would be. Best $20 I have spent so far on homebrewing.

I would throw a word of caution out there, I saw an earlier post that said to read this forum a lot, well, I would apply what you read very judiciously, especially if you are just starting out. You might be better served by getting information from a lhbs store that you trust, or a homebrew club. Just because you read a well written post doesn't mean the guy knows what he's talking about. Myself included. This whole post could be bs.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check out CHAOS you will like it and its not too far from you. I was a member up till recently, only left because I'm in Jeff Park its a bit of a drive to get there and I only can make it there once in a while. That said the guys there are all great and have a wealth of knowledge.

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
I would throw a word of caution out there, I saw an earlier post that said to read this forum a lot, well, I would apply what you read very judiciously, especially if you are just starting out. You might be better served by getting information from a lhbs store that you trust, or a homebrew club. Just because you read a well written post doesn't mean the guy knows what he's talking about. Myself included. This whole post could be bs.
Probably on the right track, but I've been given all sorts of odd information from LHBS members. They also have a good reason to upsell you equipment you don't need.

There's some very good books out there. I'd recommend those over LHBS owners.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Probably on the right track, but I've been given all sorts of odd information from LHBS members. They also have a good reason to upsell you equipment you don't need.

There's some very good books out there. I'd recommend those over LHBS owners.
Not to sound like an a-hole, but I guess I should have over-emphasized the word "trust" in my reference to LHBS's. The store here is run by a very solid guy and I trust his word. He has, on a couple occasions, told me not to buy a particular product because it didn't suit what I needed.

Not to start a huge debate, but I have The Complete Joy and The Homebrewers Bible, and neither one are a substitute for talking to somebody that has actually done it. The one thing I find completely infuriating about brew books is the recipes. Usually half the damn book is filled with them instead of going into more detail on the process' themselves. In the Bible you get about a paragraph on mash thickness and about 100 pages of recipes. Hard to justify the money.

My .02

Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73

Not to sound like an a-hole, but I guess I should have over-emphasized the word "trust" in my reference to LHBS's. The store here is run by a very solid guy and I trust his word. He has, on a couple occasions, told me not to buy a particular product because it didn't suit what I needed.

Not to start a huge debate, but I have The Complete Joy and The Homebrewers Bible, and neither one are a substitute for talking to somebody that has actually done it. The one thing I find completely infuriating about brew books is the recipes. Usually half the damn book is filled with them instead of going into more detail on the process' themselves. In the Bible you get about a paragraph on mash thickness and about 100 pages of recipes. Hard to justify the money.

My .02
One important note to all this and also not trying to start anything:

In this hobby there really is no right or wrong, you can talk to 100 brewers from home to commercial and get 100 opinions on the what is thought to be the best way to do something.

The fact is that one thing may work for you and your process and something come rely different will work better for someone else.

It is up to you as the brewer to take in the information and apply it to what you do and how it may or may not work for you.

I am friends with many brewers both home and pro and we all make great beer but really none of us goes about any of it in the same way. Yes there are some consistencies but no two of us are the same

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Jon73 Likes This 

Quick Reply