Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cherry Wheat Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
tryder33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cherry Wheat Help

So I am going to brew a cherry wheat but I dont want to use an extract for the cherry flavor. This is my first attempt adding fruit to a beer so I was wondering how much should I add to a 5 gallon batch? I know they say add to your liking but what would be a good starting point? Also I am going to quarter the cherries but do I need to do anything to sterlize them before I add them to the secondary?
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I would freeze them. Add them to the secondary. Start with 1 lb to 2 lb per gallon.

I have used frozen fruit in my secondary half a dozen times and never had problems with infections. There is enough alcohol in the beer by this point to discourage it. You freeze the fruit to burst the cell walls - more flavor extraction. By adding it to the secondary you will get more unaltered aroma and flavor.

Last edited by nsrooen; 05-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would suggest dipping them in Starsan before you cut them, but after you take off the stems.

And instead of quartering I would suggest mashing them, and then putting it in a bag. Because the reason you mash them is to increase the surface area contact between the cherries and the beer.

As for when to add I would agree with nsrooen, add them in the secondary. Or if you don't plan on using a secondary, after the primary fermentation stops, then add them in, and let them sit for about 5 days.

As for amount: I would go with 1-2 lbs. Or 3 lbs if you want it to be IN YOUR FACE cherry flavor.

Quick Reply