The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cheapest beer you can make?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Baja_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cheapest beer you can make?

I know it isnt always about the money, but Im new to brewing and Ive already spent a good bit making several batches. I realize that with the price of malt, nothings going to be to cheap as long as I keep brewing extract... Im just not sure I know enough to move to all grain.

My question is this, what is the cheapest brew that you know how to make (cost per bottle or otherwise) that has a decent flavor and abv? links to recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd say that you could do BierMunchers Cream of 3 crops....convert it to extract. It's pretty cheap. You can add that Alcohol boost from AHS for like $2. and save some on the malt. You're pushing BMC here, but it'll be cheap.

and If you wait till you think you know enough to go all grain, you'll NEVER do it. Just build a Mash Tun, Get a Turkey Fryer, and go for it.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Check out Northern Brewer's kits. I think some of the basic ones are around $20, such as the Scottish/60. Not big alcohol and low hops saves money, I haven't used it, but this is a good company. Use dry yeast to save $$. And I don't think buying ingredients individually saves money vs. kits.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You could consider countertop partial mashing...that way you can pick up the skills needed for allgrain, do it on your stove, and still cut the prices substantially by replacing some of the extract fermentatbles with the cheaper grain... Google "Byo Countertop Partial Mashing" to find a great article on it...

Also if you go that route look at my brown ale recipe in my pull down...it will show you how by increasing the 2-row, you decrease the more expensive extract.

Having said that, my cheapest extract with grains recipe is probably my Amber Ale...it tastes nearly identical with Bell's Amber. It's extract, a little bit of steeping grains and 2 ounces of hops...Use US-05 dry yeast and it is under 20 bucks to brew 5 gallons.

Grain Bill
1.5 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60l
6 lbs. Amber Dme.

Steep of Crystal 60
3 gallons steep to 165 deg for 30 minutes. rinse with quart of warm water. Add approx 2 pnds. DME. Bring to boil. 2 ounces hops at 60. Remaining DME @ 20. Moss at 15. 1 oz. Hops at flameout.

Boil & Hops
2.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Also by washing and harvesting your yeast, you save big money that way!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

By buying grain and hops in bulk and propagating yeast, I have managed to get my Bavarian hefeweizen and Kolsch under $0.13 per 12 oz. serving.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
By buying grain and hops in bulk and propagating yeast, I have managed to get my Bavarian hefeweizen and Kolsch under $0.13 per 12 oz. serving.
I'm guessing that this cost is ingredients only?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Go all grain. It's nowhere near as difficult as you think. Seriously. You dump hot water into grain, mix it up, let it sit. Drain, add more hot water, mix then drain. From that point on, it's just like making an extract beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I'm guessing that this cost is ingredients only?
Yep, but since I buy Starsan by the gallon and PBW by the 50# pail, it could bump it by 6-7 cents a glass propane included based on 10 gallon batches.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Yep, but since I buy Starsan by the gallon and PBW by the 50# pail...
Now there is something that I have to look into.

Quick Reply