New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cheap Stock Pot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
mev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap Stock Pot

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while just learning. I am in the process of gathering equipment for my first brew, and decided to go to Big Lots to see what they have to offer. I was looking for a turkey fryer, but found a stainless steel 20 qt stock pot w/ lid for $15! It seems like a decent sturdy pot, but I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for. This pot was made in India, so I am not sure of the quality of the pot, but I think it will work just fine, at least for the first few batches, after which I could use it for something else. Now to get the rest of the stuff....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Gregredic
Recipes 

The only big draw back is the size. You also might have a little bit of a leaking problem where the handles are attached. I've noticed that problem with a lot of the cheap pots....turkey fryers included.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
mev
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. I am reading Charlie Papazian's Joy of Brewing, and plan to follow his guideline for my first batch, using an extract. It only calls for 1.5 gallons of water, so I don't think size will be a problem until I change my setup. I'd like to go all grain in the future, but I want to dip my toes in the water so to say.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
cbg96
Recipes 

I think mine's 20 quart, and was a cheapie ($16) from Target. No complaints so far.

Drinking - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops Version II with less hops and more fermentables - bottled Nov. 17

Deep Reserve - SMaSH ale from Mystery Backyard Hops (into the bottles on October 11); a winner & saving 5 bottles out

Deep Reserve - LHBS Recipe IPA - first effort Sept. 13, good stuff but undercarbed; saving 4 bottles

Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Grinder12000

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I purchased a set to 4 Stainless Steal pots for $22 but I really like my $45 stainless steel one better.

It is MUCH easier to boil faster with the expensive one - I think it is thicker ????? All I know is it has cut my brew time down by 1/2 hour at least. My 20g cheapo had a hard time getting water hot fast.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As long as you keep you total volume to 80 % or less than the capacity of your pot, you will be fine. If you get above 80%, boilover will drive you nuts.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Captain Damage

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used a 20 quart pot for a couple of years. I did 3 gallon batches, which meant 4-1/4 gallon boil with just enough headspace that I wouldn't lose any in the boil as long as I used FermcapS.

I recently got this 30 quart kettle for $60.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale
Quadro (quadrotriticale ale)
Beer of Honor
Black Bat'Leth Stout
Targ's Blood Nut Brown Ale
Supersecret sour beer experiment v1.0

Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
HopSong
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Walmart has some nice tri-clad pots that are quite inexpensive. Glass lid is nice for the hot water boil so you can heat the water faster. Tri-clad, IMO, gives less chance of scorching the wort. I've got big SS pots but am now down to 3 gallon batches.. so I'm using two turkey fryer pots now. As long as I keep my eye on things I'll never have a boil over or scorch. SS is wonderful.. but, expensive. If you live near SF bay area, I have a great Italian 10+gallon SS pot with a valve I'm looking to get rid of. Bought it from More Beer many years ago and it's still virgin.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

I picked up a set of four nested,polished SS stock pots at Giant Eagle a year ago last January for some $25 with lids & steamer trays. And 20qt equalling 5 gallons is fine for 2.5-3 gallon partial boils. I use mine with a cake cooling rack in the bottom for steeping or partial mash beers. I can use the 3 or 4 gallon ones for heating sparge water. They 've held up real well for nearly 2 years.
Some PBW & a dobie to scrub'em inside & out,& they're all clean & shiny again.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
DoctorMemory

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a 20qt for my first kettle, worked just fine for extract brews with my ISO standard Craigslist turkey fryer. I'd probably still be using it, except for my birthday SWMBO got me a 10g pot and a 55K BTU burner.

Quick Reply