Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cheap fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Patton191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap fermenter

I have found a relatively cheap fermenter if you are trying to keep brewing on the cheap side. There are around $10.50 where I live(southwest TN), but in some areas I believe they are cheaper. It holds around 6.8 gallons, but it claims to hold 7. It is the color blue, but I can attest that there is no plastic flavor etc. as some claim. It is #2 HPDE plastic. It is somewhat difficult to move, but it has a handle on it which helps.

Here is a picture of it...

It can be found in the hunting/fishing section of Walmart(where all of the guns and fishing lines are located). I have been in about 3 walmarts and it is in all of them.

Someone had already mentioned it, but they never said how the beer turned out.

To turn it into a fermenter I capped the large white top and took off the air flow valve cap. Then I simply poked a few holes in the top of a balloon with a needle and put the balloon over the small hole with a rubber band around it.

The beer tastes fine and if you are looking to brew cheaply these work very well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
mjackson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I really wouldn't take a chance with this. It seems if its not #1 plastic it could maybe affect you beer. If I did use it I would probably only use it once due to the fact that it will be hard to clean and could deteriorate after a few uses.

Just spend the extra for carboy or better bottle. Thats just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would also agree and spring for the extra carboy, but I have seen a few threads pop up about using these as fermenters and the general consensus is that they are usable, if not ideal

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Irish1225
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$10.50 doesn't seem that much cheaper when i got all my buckets for about $11 each and lids are about $3

Old 02-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Patton191
Recipes 

$3.50 is alot . About the comment it not being #1, the plastic buckets that everyone uses is the same type of plastic as these.

EDIT: Also if you think it will deteriorate, then the buckets would also deteriorate.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
mjackson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You are going to have to find some way to clean the nooks and crannies on this thing and more likely than not you are going to have to use a brush of some type. Buckets allow you to use a soft rage to clean all of the surfaces and not make scratches which will aid in the deteriation or possibility of infections.

Home brewing is great because everyone con do their own thing. If you like what you make then more power to you. I have a family and am tight on money so I want to make sure all of my brews turn out the best.

$3.50 is not much at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you aren't about trying to scrounge one from frosting or something. Go to EmergencyEssentials.com 6 gallon buckets are 6.95 (I think 7.95 for one with a lid). Do an easy search on google for free shipping. Pretty good deal if you ask me. I went with the gamma seal lid at first, but ended up getting rid of it as it seemed like it was leaking as the airlock NEVER bubbled during 2 weeks.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Patton191
Recipes 

Those are a good deal at emergencyessential, but what do you mean get free shipping by searching? I think I will have to pick a few up, if I can get free shipping.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
CATFISHER74
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton191 View Post
Those are a good deal at emergencyessential, but what do you mean get free shipping by searching? I think I will have to pick a few up, if I can get free shipping.
For some reason i ccant find the site you are talking about.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry, forgot the site name was different than the company name.

6-Gallon Bucket with Lid

Anyway. that's where I got all my buckets from.

retailmenot.com has a free shipping code which I used before
Emergency Essentials Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for beprepared.com

According to the comments I think the free shipping code only works if the order is over $20 (haven't tried that out thought). Perfectly good reason to increase the volume of the fermenting pipeline.

Quick Reply