Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Changing temperature half-way through?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
CheftonUTD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Changing temperature half-way through?

I'm new to brewing and looking for advice about temperature control. After bottling my first batch I went out and got a fridge and a second fermentor (the obsesion begins... ).
What I'm doing at the moment is planning to have one brew in the fridge (at about 20c / 68f) and the other in a makeshift swamp cooler (at about 28c / 82f ).
I started thinking today though, since everyone says that temperature is most critical during the first week(ish) of fermentation, would I be better off next time starting one earlier, leaving it in the fridge for a week or so then take it out and put the new one in it's place?

Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would say it depends on the yeast and what profile you want in the beer. The 82F seems awful warm though but I tend to ferment at the lower ends of the yeasts temp range

Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Sween
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I sometimes end up second guessing myself... going from about 70 down to 60 or even 65. I move my carboys and buckets around the house depending on how and when they're fermenting.

But yeah, 82 sounds really high unless you're dealing with a belgian strong and want all those fruity flavors...

Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
mvcorliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If what you were asking is would removing the batch from the refrigerator after a week make a big difference I think the answer is no. At least in most cases. The vast majority of esters which produce the flavors from the yeast will be produced during the first few days of active fermentation. So, barring a bigger refrigerator, brewing a batch this week and fermenting at 68f, then brewing another batch next week, putting it in the refrigerator at 68f and moving the older one out to warmer place would not be too bad for most beers. Any very high gravity beers might need a little more time, and all of this assumes you are pitching the proper amount of good, clean, healthy yeast.

hth,
Michael

Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As you stated, the most active part of fermentation is the only time when temp control is really critcal. Basically, the first 75% between OG and FG is the only place where yeast can get stressed enough to produce a noticible concentration of esters and phenols.

With a few style exceptions and exceptions for high ABV, that critical part of fermentation where temp control is necessary is over within 4-5 days.

I personally have a single temp controlled chamber, and routinely only leave beers in there for a week before I put them on a shelf at room temp to bulk condition, and I have no noticible effects or off flavors from this process.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
CheftonUTD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Might give that a try next time then, thanks all for your help!

Quick Reply