The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Changing Ingredients in Mr. Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Changing Ingredients in Mr. Beer

I am getting ready to start a new batch, my 2nd, using the Mr. Beer system; but I am changing out some of the ingredients, do I need to alter the brewing process itself?

I will be using a "Whispering Wheat" Weizenbier HME but scrapping the packet of 'Booster' and using a Bavarian Wheat DME malt extract instead. Do I simply change out the ingredient, but still add it at the same stage as you would the booster?

Any pointers or other advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yeah add it in the boil. I would also recommend using a Hefeweizen yeast in place of the mr.B yeast. I did and it came out pretty good

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
MikeBergan

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention the yeast. I am going to be switching out the included yeast for a Safbrew WB-06 dry wheat beer yeast. the guy at the HB shop said it would be the right one for it.

As for adding the DME, basic Mr. Beer instructions had you adding the booster to a pot of water, bringing it to boil and then removing from heat and adding the HME, then putting the resulting wort into the fermenter tank.

Do I do the same with using the DME, or does it need to boil for a longer period etc.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No just stir it in before you get to a boil or add it when you add the HME watch out though adding DME to boiling wort will cause foaming and potential boil overs. I usually stir in the DME Before boiling then bring it up to temp.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
MikeBergan

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good Gil - that is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I don't really change the procedure much.. just the ingredient, in this case.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No problem happy to help spread the addiction!!!!
Happy Brewing

Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

I no longer use Mr Beer ingredients, but brewed the Whispering Wheat twice. Both times I added the booster along with 1lb wheat DME and used Danstar Munich yeast. Those were my very best Mr Beer batches. The process listed above is perfect. Enjoy!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
MikeBergan

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OClairBrew - Using BOTH the Booster (corn syrup sugar solids) and the DME I have will not cause issues?

Is there any change needed regarding the yeast or water amounts etc? I understand swapping the DME for the Booster, but am new at this and not sure about adding it in ADDITION to the Booster.

One other question I thought of. I have not seen anything in the instructions about a time at boil... it just says to bring it TO a boil and then remove from heat before adding the HME. Especially with using the DME now, and possibly the Booster too, is there a certain amount of time I need to let it sit at boil?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

I added both many times to get an abv around 5%. I would overfill to just under the Q on the side yeilding approximately 2.5 gallons. I would use the whole packet of yeast which is around 11grams. I would add everything to the water while it was heating up and stir to ensure even mixing then boil for approximately 10 minutes to make sure any nasties were killed off. Some will tell you you just need to keep it around 190f for a period of time without even boiling.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
inkdbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What I did was add the dme before the boil. It tends to clump up so add a little at a time and stir, stir, stir. Watch very carefully as the mix comes to a boil, it'll start to foam up and happen really fast. Keep a spray bottle handy and shoot the foam if it looks like it'll boil over your pot. Watch for the hot break (period when foam goes away and you have rolling boil going). Let boil for about 10-15 min and remove completely from heat. Add hme and stir it in really good while wort is hot. Chill to pitch temps, add yeast, done.

Quick Reply