Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chances of a sweat based infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
SLBrooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chances of a sweat based infection

Hey guys quick question for you...

About a month and a half ago I made a texas blonde and while i was aerating it, a single drop of sweat rolled down my nose and plopped into my wort before I could add my yeast (it was 105, 111 with the heat index)

When I racked to secondary their were no signs of infection. It's been bottle conditioning for about a month now and I have a sampler in the fridge for a few days now that I'm about to pop open.

Will I be able to determine if the entire batch is good or bad by opening a single bottle.

If it's infected what can I expect when I open it?

If it's infected and I drink it will I get super powers?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

In a word, Yes.

You should already be able to fly simply by living in the same house as your batch.

Honestly, you shouldn't worry. There is a small chance of infection from that, but the likelihood that it affected your batch is extremely small.

RDWHAHB.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wouldn't sweat the sweat... If your fermentation and primary stage went fine then I would not be worried about any type of infection (as long as your bottling did not introduce something). I'm sure everyone that brews has experienced something "added" to sweet wort before pitching there yeast and 99% of the time there are no issues because the yeast beat out any contenders.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
SLBrooks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess even if that first bottle is infected, I could let it sit for another month or 2 clear it up?

It's good to know yeast are strong like bull, even better to know a lot of folks have added themselves (literally) to their sweet wort

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I brewed this weekend and was sweating like crazy. I must have dropped about 1/4 cup in all my spring and summer batches. No problems yet. Positive is I don't have to add salt to change my water profile.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBrooks View Post
I guess even if that first bottle is infected, I could let it sit for another month or 2 clear it up?

It's good to know yeast are strong like bull, even better to know a lot of folks have added themselves (literally) to their sweet wort
I wouldn't worry about the drop of sweat. Even if there is an infection, chances are good that it came from somewhere other than that single drop of sweat.

However, if you have an infected batch, more time WILL NOT clear it up. In fact, most infected beers get worse over time as the bacteria/wild yeast continue to multiply.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
SLBrooks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I wouldn't worry about the drop of sweat. Even if there is an infection, chances are good that it came from somewhere other than that single drop of sweat.

However, if you have an infected batch, more time WILL NOT clear it up. In fact, most infected beers get worse over time as the bacteria/wild yeast continue to multiply.
So if infections dont clear up after more time, i guess the beer becomes pig feed...

If there is an infection, i guess the only way to know is by the beer creating a geyser when opened (im not thinking of a 5inch squirt of beer - im thinking that it will easily hit and coat the ceiling, possibly even try to slap me). Would that be an accurate statement or is there something else I need to look for?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBrooks View Post
If there is an infection, i guess the only way to know is by the beer creating a geyser when opened (im not thinking of a 5inch squirt of beer - im thinking that it will easily hit and coat the ceiling, possibly even try to slap me). Would that be an accurate statement or is there something else I need to look for?
You'll need to taste it.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well you certainly have some good options for what to name it!

Summer Sweat Ale
Sweaty Forehead Ale
Perspiration Ale

And the list goes on!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it turns out tasting like A** then you can call it SWASS Ale.

Quick Reply