Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ceramic Cooktop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Ceramic Cooktop?

Hey now,
I just "brewed" my first beer from one of those Coopers kits. It was a canned kit so I know I wasnt really brewing but... Anyway will my ceramic cooktop be up to the task of some extract brewing? I know that boiling 5-6 gal. is gonna take some BTU's. Should I be looking to go the way of a turkey fryer. Just trying to keep my costs down as much as possible for my new hobby.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Probably going to have to upgrade to boil more than a few gallons. Turkey fryers are cheap, and soon they will be in every store imaginable for turkey day.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's a hobby that you feel you will be doing for quite some time I would recommend a turkey fryer. Home Depot's got a 4 legged one that is $40 and it's real sturdy. If you go on ebay and search for 40 qt aluminum you can find really cheap 4mm thick ones from instawares. I got mine for less than $50 after shipping. If you go to instaware's site it's more expensive than doing it through ebay for the same item.

I am confused somewhat by a "ceramic cooktop." I have a smooth glass surface stove. Is that the same thing that you are referring to?

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

yeah that would be the one. I guess the heating elements are ceramic.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I have boiled 5.5 gallons on my glasstop. At the time by brew pot was 6 gallons. I start with my regular brew pot at 3 to 3.5 gallons of wort. I brew 2 gallons or so in a seperate pot. When both pots are boiling I add the 2 gallons of boiling water to the main brew pot. This saves a ridiculous amount of time over trying to get it to boiling temp in one pot. If you are doing extract this is the method I recommend until you can afford to upgrade. The damn glasstop elements are set to an automatic shutoff/turn-on. It greatly increases the amount of time it takes large volumes to get to boil over a traditional electric or gas stove top. The sugar in wort requires even more energy to bring it to boil thus increasing your to-boil time. When I bought my 10 gallon aluminum pot I filled it to the brim with water 1 gallon at a time and let it sit on the stove for 2 hours to test the strength of the glasstop. After the first 20 minutes I turned 1 burner on and then each of the others every successive 10 minutes to test the strenght as heat was applied. No problems. No visible stress fractures. 16 brews later as I brought my pot in with ~5.5 gallons of wort after boiling on the turkey fryer and placing on the stove while I cooled for 30 minutes, I still see no visible stress fractures. I am convinced that this stuff is pretty resiliant.

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Just a word of warning with the cooktop...if you boil over, clean it IMMEDIATELY! Sugar is the enemy with glass cooktops and once it cooks on it is an incredible B*TCH to get off.

I use both a outdoor burner as well as my cooktop - I usually use the cooktop in the winter and brew outside in the summer.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

[QUOTE=devaspawn;851126]

I am confused somewhat by a "ceramic cooktop." I have a smooth glass surface stove. Is that the same thing that you are referring to?
QUOTE]

Yes, this is what people are referring to. I have one as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on what Bopper said. You need to watch your boil like a hawk (and it'd be a good idea to get some fermcap/defoamer, and a fan) to make sure you don't get boilovers. Because I guarantee, if you get a boilover and don't immediately turn everything off and clean every molecule of sugar off of your pot and your cooktop, you will have permanent stains after a 60 minute boil.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
rowespencer
Recipes 

I'm prepping to brew my first batch and tried boiling 6 gallons of water on my ceramic cooktop....5 hours later, no rolling boil. I'm definitely using the turkey fryer!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts

I "simmered" my first batch on my ceramic top and that was only a 3gal partial mash, and even then it took seemingly all day to get it to do anything. Batch #2 I did a full volume boil with an aluminum pot and turkey fryer burner, MUCH better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply