New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cask?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
irishplague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cask?

I've just been asked by a friend if I could brew some beer for their wedding reception. I accepted, but I dont want to bottle it, and i don't have kegging equipment, so i was thinking about cask conditioning it. Does anyone know where i can buy a cask?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Meh.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Have them pay for your kegging rig. Plan on brewing at least 20 gallons, possibly 30. So 6 cornie kegs at $30 is $180, plus regulator and tap, you're looking at around $300. Add in ingredients for the brewing, you're looking at another $200-$300. So $600 for this.

Or you could split the cost with them?

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.ukbrewing.com/casks.cfm
Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Hernando
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 103

http://www.barrelsonline.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 still maybe cheaper to get a kegging system that you could then use for future brewing projects.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have a source but consider the risks associated with cask beer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cask beer, but there are more unknowns associated with putting a 'special occasion beer' into a cask. You may not be able to brew a back-up brew if somethign goes wrong.

Just consider the risks.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, this is just my opinion, but if you have never kegged or casked beer before, why would you want to start now? Especially since the pressure is on, and the people at the wedding who drink your beer will be the judges of its quality.

Sure, you may need to collect a ton of empties, and bottling a couple hundred beers might be tedious. But personally I'd stick with something you are comfortable with (bottling).

If you have ample time before the wedding to bottle condition your beers (about a month in bottle at least), that's what I'd do. However if you are pressed for time, kegging will be your only option to have the beer ready on time.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

how big is this wedding party? kegging kits for a single keg can be had for about 180, then just pick up a couple more kegs off craigslist. i would say it's fair to split the cost with the folks having the wedding. you could probably (if you're doing all grain) get the grains to do 20 gallons for about 60 dollars given ample time and yeast re-use. so figure 350 dollars total, split between, not too bad with a bit of deal hunting.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Northern Brewer carries it now

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/catalogsearch/result/?q=cask&x=0&y=0

Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishplague View Post
I've just been asked by a friend if I could brew some beer for their wedding reception. I accepted, but I dont want to bottle it, and i don't have kegging equipment, so i was thinking about cask conditioning it. Does anyone know where i can buy a cask?
I just made a Hefeweizen for my wedding favors, even though i do keg my beer, the Blichmann beer gun helped me bottle 120 beers in about 30 min. Just to give you and estimate on beer amount, 15 gallons of beer made about 150 bottles.

Have them pay for the kegging stuff first, or purchase it for yourself to use for later beer making, kegging is awesome

Old 05-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #10
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancness View Post
Ok, this is just my opinion, but if you have never kegged or casked beer before, why would you want to start now? Especially since the pressure is on, and the people at the wedding who drink your beer will be the judges of its quality.

Sure, you may need to collect a ton of empties, and bottling a couple hundred beers might be tedious. But personally I'd stick with something you are comfortable with (bottling).

If you have ample time before the wedding to bottle condition your beers (about a month in bottle at least), that's what I'd do. However if you are pressed for time, kegging will be your only option to have the beer ready on time.
+1 that's what I was trying to say...

If you (the OP) are going to move forward with the cask, then I would contact a local brewery that does a cask ale. I would go in during the day and talk to the brewer, and I would explain your goal and ask for pointers. Who knows, he/she may have a great source for a cask and some worthwhile pointers.

Quick Reply