Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cascade or centennial for dry hopping.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
bcfzx2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default cascade or centennial for dry hopping.

I just ordered a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest and was going to dry hop but accidently ordered centennial instead of cascade. My question is the kit says to boil the cascade hops which came with the kit for the last five minutes should I switch the cascade with centennial or just dry hop with centennial?

To clarify any confusion the kit did not call for dry hopping I was adding it to the kit but ordered centennial instead of cascade.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Your question is confusing,somethings missing.so do what the kit says and then dryhop with your centinnial.Or splitt them up. I think both are very good for either. smell them and see what you like better then dry hop the smell you like better.Ok so there was no dry hopping in the kit? Then maybe you want cascade for the dry hopping then.Since this is the pronounced signature smell?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
brewhooligan
Recipes 

Agreed.
Both have a nice citrusy floral aroma, great for dryhopping an APA. You really can't go wrong with either.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

I like hops like these because i found out what hops are in some of my favorite beers and what makes me like them so much. I had a beer boulevard brewings seasonal Nutcracker Ale and found out it was dryhopped with Chinook hops and now i have to make a Chinook ipa. I have yet to dry hop also but have yet to find out how well last min additons work for ipa's. Something new everyday.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
camus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfzx2 View Post
I just ordered a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest and was going to dry hop but accidently ordered centennial instead of cascade. My question is the kit says to boil the cascade hops which came with the kit for the last five minutes should I switch the cascade with centennial or just dry hop with centennial?
I am drinking a beer from this kit as I type this, first thing I can say is don't expect SNPA, secondly it is a good beer.

You would be fine just dry hopping with the Centennial, if you have the gumption, split the cascade 5 minute addition with centennial 50/50, and then dry hop the remainder.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Centennial and Cascade are interchangeable, but Centennials are higher IBU and considered to be Cascades on steroids. So, you can use the Cents in place of Cascades but watch your AA's. If you use the same amount of them as Cascades, your beer will be twice as bitter..

I looked up the kit at Midwest and it calls for 2 oz of cascade the last 2 min. of boil. Cascades usually run about 5.5% AA
Centennial runs about 10.5%AA
Just use 1 oz of Centennials the last 2 min. and save the other 1 oz for your dry hop and you should be good to go.

Reason: Info

Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggethead View Post
Centennial and Cascade are interchangeable, but Centennials are higher IBU and considered to be Cascades on steroids. So, you can use the Cents in place of Cascades but watch your AA's. If you use the same amount of them as Cascades, your beer will be twice as bitter..
Your not really getting any AA's at 5 min or dry hop.Or did i miss something?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No, your not really getting much, however you will get twice as much for 5 min. Not enough to make a lot of difference, just trying to related accurate info.
And correct, you will get zero AA from dry hop, but if all of the Centennials get used for the 5 min boil, he will not have any left to dry hop, or did I read it wrong. By splitting the Centennials, he should be able to follow the kit reasonably accurate.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
jonmohno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggethead View Post
No, your not really getting much, however you will get twice as much for 5 min. Not enough to make a lot of difference, just trying to related accurate info.
And correct, you will get zero AA from dry hop, but if all of the Centennials get used for the 5 min boil, he will not have any left to dry hop, or did I read it wrong. By splitting the Centennials, he should be able to follow the kit reasonably accurate.
2 AA'S compared to the twice as many 4AA'S wont make the beer twice as bitter. As quoted earlier.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

True, it will only effect the 5 min addition, not the entire batch. Guess I should have put more thought in before rambling.

Reason: Info

Quick Reply