Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Caribou Slobber fermentation time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #21
evrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217 View Post
So a hydrometer is really worth it?
That's a little like asking if a guitar is important to becoming a guitarist.

Yes. A hydrometer is an essential tool for brewing beer. Considering they cost $5, there's no reason not to own one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
Jobe5217
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I appreciate all the info. I think I will try using the secondary since I paid for the damn thing! In the future though, I will try primary only as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217
I appreciate all the info. I think I will try using the secondary since I paid for the damn thing! In the future though, I will try primary only as well.
Yep, my first beer ever ( well, after a 20 year break) was a moose drool clone from northern, along with the deluxe kit. Came with the secondary, and the instructions told me to use it. So I did.

I poured out most of that batch, it was very bad beer. Sure, my brew steps were not perfect, but pretty sure I messed up on the transfer to secondary and oxidized my batch. It got worse with time.

I'd recommend ditching the secondary. You could always use it to make apfelwein, that's what I'm doing with mine now

Like I mentioned: my last batch which I'm drinking now is an all grain version, and its cloned and clear. My first batch was extract with secondary and I dumped it. That's the best advice I've learned on these forums so far: scrap the secondary. I just dryhopped two batches yesterday, both in primaries. Less work, better beer, IMHO

Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217 View Post
Oh don't worry, I'm sure you'll use the secondary eventually (dryhopping, oak chips, etc). You just don't need to for this batch. But if you're bound and determined to then, by all means, do so. I left the Caribou Slobber in primary for 3 weeks, bottle for 2, still have a few bottles left and it ages well. It was great from the start though also.

So many recipes...

Fermenter: Dales Pale Ale, Scotch Ale
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber

Quick Reply