The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Caribou Slobber fermentation time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217
Thanks for the good info guys. I'm hearing a lot of advice to skip the secondary here but elsewhere some say that it is beneficial. I am anxious to try both ways, so far it just seems like personal preference with no clear advantage either way.

So a hydrometer is really worth it? How exactly do you cold crash?
First paragraph, you are absolutely correct.

Hydrometer is the most important thing toucan but that doesn't directly produce something. (Its like an administrative assistant - never produced a product, but they keep the wheels of a corporation moving forward.

Cold crashing is holding at a cold temp to clear a beer. Just stick it in a fridge if you have one. Ice baths also work, but require more attention. Other methods are fining agents like whirlfloc, Irish moss, and gelatin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Absolutely need a hydrometer, otherwise you haven't ability to figure out what your beer and fermentation are doing!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe5217 View Post
Thanks for the good info guys. I'm hearing a lot of advice to skip the secondary here but elsewhere some say that it is beneficial. I am anxious to try both ways, so far it just seems like personal preference with no clear advantage either way.

So a hydrometer is really worth it? How exactly do you cold crash?
A hydrometer is worth it so you can see when you beer is indeed finished fermentation. Also, you can find out your beer's alcohol content this way.

Many on here do not do a secondary fermentation. I however do. I have seen marked improvements in my beers since I started using a secondary. They are crystal clear, have very little junk at the bottom of my bottles and my beers taste better. Some of this could be attributed to the fact that I haven't even been brewing for a year yet so I am rather new and learning more with each brew, but I do think that the secondary has helped. I see no issues with aeration if use an auto-siphon and don't splash the beer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD

A hydrometer is worth it so you can see when you beer is indeed finished fermentation. Also, you can find out your beer's alcohol content this way.

Many on here do not do a secondary fermentation. I however do. I have seen marked improvements in my beers since I started using a secondary. They are crystal clear, have very little junk at the bottom of my bottles and my beers taste better. Some of this could be attributed to the fact that I haven't even been brewing for a year yet so I am rather new and learning more with each brew, but I do think that the secondary has helped. I see no issues with aeration if use an auto-siphon and don't splash the beer. Just my 2 cents.
+1 on both points. A hydrometer is pretty critical if you want to know alcohol content, efficiency, and to ensure fermentation is complete.

And a secondary is entirely optional. Most people say anything you can do in a secondary you could also do in a primary. Maybe they are right. But saying that you are going to oxidize or infect your beer is a load of crap. Sanitize thoroughly and transfer with a siphon to avoid splashing. No infection, no oxidation.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I did an all grain version of this, and had it into my keg within two weeks. Let it sit in the keg for one week, then put it on the gas and carbed up within another week. All in all, 4 weeks, and its tasting GREAT! Actually had a side by side with the real thing, and both my buddy and I thought my version tasted better.

So, there ya go. 4 weeks, grain to glass for an excellent end product.

My feeling on my personal experience was that this beer fermented out in 5 days or less.

Oh, did NOT secondary this at all... I never do that anymore. Since there are no dry hops, not even sure why you'd consider a secondary. Also, my beer came out VERY clear. I will try to post up a pic later tonight when its Hoppy Hour ( that is, if I can reduce the over carb in the Keg, which I accidentally overcarbed this weekend..., faulty regulator I think)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste

+1 on both points. A hydrometer is pretty critical if you want to know alcohol content, efficiency, and to ensure fermentation is complete.

And a secondary is entirely optional. Most people say anything you can do in a secondary you could also do in a primary. Maybe they are right. But saying that you are going to oxidize or infect your beer is a load of crap. Sanitize thoroughly and transfer with a siphon to avoid splashing. No infection, no oxidation.
Thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
bloodystout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman
I did an all grain version of this, and had it into my keg within two weeks. Let it sit in the keg for one week, then put it on the gas and carbed up within another week. All in all, 4 weeks, and its tasting GREAT! Actually had a side by side with the real thing, and both my buddy and I thought my version tasted better.

So, there ya go. 4 weeks, grain to glass for an excellent end product.

My feeling on my personal experience was that this beer fermented out in 5 days or less.

Oh, did NOT secondary this at all... I never do that anymore. Since there are no dry hops, not even sure why you'd consider a secondary. Also, my beer came out VERY clear. I will try to post up a pic later tonight when its Hoppy Hour ( that is, if I can reduce the over carb in the Keg, which I accidentally overcarbed this weekend..., faulty regulator I think)
I had the same experience. Primary was done in five to six days. I actually just bottled a batch of this tonight after two weeks. My FG was set and it tasted very nice. I figure with some bottle conditioning it will get even better.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
bookworm0367
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think that everyone is leaving out a reason to move to the secondary.... To free up the primary for another batch!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm0367 View Post
I think that everyone is leaving out a reason to move to the secondary.... To free up the primary for another batch!
I solved that problem by never buying secondary vessels and only buying primary vessels.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #20
bookworm0367
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Secondary came with my Northern Brewer starter kit. I can see that it will be handy for other things, fruit/dry hop/ adds etc.

Quick Reply