Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Caribou Slobber BrewDay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
scottvin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Caribou Slobber BrewDay

So, I decided to test out my new turkey fryer and 9 gallon pot yesterday.
I also was excited to make the Caribou Slobber recipe from Northern Brewers.

After many attempts with two different turkey fryers, I finally got the boil going.

I bought the 9 gallon pot because I wanted to be able to do full boils. I added 5.5 gallons to the pot and started the fryer.

When the water hit 150°, I threw in the 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 80L, 0.25 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate, 0.125 lbs Black Malt and let the temperature rise to 170°. I then took the grains out, let them drain and continued on my goal of 212°.

Once I hit boiling, I threw in the 1 pound of Amber DME and US Goldings. At 45 minutes, I threw in the Liberty, and at 15 minutes I threw in the 6 pounds of Amber LME and the Willamette hops along with 1 tsp of Irish moss. At flame out, I started the wort chiller and it took about 18 minutes for the wort to get under 70 degrees. I noticed a lot of stuff on the top of the wort at this time, I assume it was a hot/cold break?

After the wort was cooled, I used a wine whip for aeration. I then took a hydrometer reading - 1.056 and had a taste of the cooled wort - it seemed quite sweet, is that normal?

I pitched the yeast starter that was on the stir plate for the last 12 hours. When I woke up today, I had bubbling in my blowoff tube, placed in a growler, every second or so.

One thing I did notice was not that much water seemed to boil off, only about .3-.4 gallons which seemed low.

Any comments? Things that I could improve?

Thanks!

9-gallon-slobber-finished.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
scline74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Sweet taste is normal the caribou slobber is one of my favorites

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Wd2048
Rising Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvin View Post
After many attempts with two different turkey fryers, I finally got the boil going.
When you say "many attempts with two different turkey fryers" were the problems that you just couldn't get it up to temp?

Quote:
I bought the 9 gallon pot because I wanted to be able to do full boils. I added 5.5 gallons to the pot and started the fryer.

After the wort was cooled, I used a wine whip for aeration. I then took a hydrometer reading - 1.056 and had a taste of the cooled wort - it seemed quite sweet, is that normal?
Very normal. Remember, at this point you have enough sugar suspended to jump your OG from 1.000 (water) to 1.056. The sugar (and therefor the sweet) will ferment away and leave behind alcohol. It's a beautiful thing!

Quote:

One thing I did notice was not that much water seemed to boil off, only about .3-.4 gallons which seemed low.
There are a lot of variables that could play into this. Did you boil inside or outside? What was the temperature? What was the humidity that day? All these things play into how much liquid actually boils off and up into the atmosphere.

Sounds like you had a pretty successful brewday for me, especially first time out on new equipment. Was this your first brewday period?

You have created your wort. You successfully cooled and transferred it to an environment your yeast is thriving in. Just be patient with it. Then from there, just rinse and repeat!

Great job and continued success!
In Barrel: Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine
In Keg: Spiced Tripel; Espresso Stout 2.0; Berry Black Mamba Porter; Spanish Cedar Smoked English Mild (#13)
Bottled: Single Hopped Centennial IPA; American Honey Wheat 2.0; Berry Black Mamba Porter
Gone: Irish Stout; "Hot Mama" Blonde; Petite Saison d'Ete; London Porter; Weizenbock; Imperial Espresso Stout; "Here Come the Drums..." IPA; Black English IPA; Hot Apple Brown Ale; Belgian AIPA (Am. Hopped Tripel)

Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
scottvin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wd2048 View Post
When you say "many attempts with two different turkey fryers" were the problems that you just couldn't get it up to temp?
I was having trouble starting the first fryer (pushing the incorrect button) and the second one I bought did not work at all.

Quote:
Very normal. Remember, at this point you have enough sugar suspended to jump your OG from 1.000 (water) to 1.056. The sugar (and therefor the sweet) will ferment away and leave behind alcohol. It's a beautiful thing!
Awesome!

Quote:
There are a lot of variables that could play into this. Did you boil inside or outside? What was the temperature? What was the humidity that day? All these things play into how much liquid actually boils off and up into the atmosphere.
I boiled outside in the garage. It was about 35-40. Humidity was low.

Quote:
Sounds like you had a pretty successful brewday for me, especially first time out on new equipment. Was this your first brewday period?
This is my third this go around, I used to brew seven years ago.

Quote:
You have created your wort. You successfully cooled and transferred it to an environment your yeast is thriving in. Just be patient with it. Then from there, just rinse and repeat!

Great job and continued success!
Thanks!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
scottvin
Recipes 

Went I got home tonight I noticed the fermenter bubbling quite a bit.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quite normal - as you monitor your beer's progress, you will notice the sweetness diminishing.

Quote:

Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
griz419
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just brewed this kit on Sunday. It was my first 5 gallon home brew. What is the advantage/disadvantage of adding the LME at 15? I added the DME and LME at the start of the boil.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You didn't boil with the lid on did you?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
scottvin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You didn't boil with the lid on did you?
Me, nope.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Me, nope.
Cool. Just checking.